Cheapest gas okay?

Nearly Broke

Recruit
Hello, first time here. I just got a 15 horse Johnson. I think it's a 1998 2-stroke. My work buddies tell me to only use the highest octane gas in it. Can't I use the cheapest gas, like I use in my car? I know about the 50:1 oil mix. And what about fuel stabelizer?Is that necessary at all?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Yes, regular gas will work just fine. That is what that motor is engineered for. I use Sea Foam in all my motors and have had no problems.

pckeen

Commander
You can use inexpensive gas. Many boat owners will use a higher octane gas, in part because gas may sit more in an outboard tank longer than in a vehicle tank, if the outboard motor is used less regularly. Lower octane gas tends to break down more quickly these days, as so many of them are ethanol blends. I use 87 octane at the start of the season, but at the end, when I know I will be storing the boat over winter soon, I will use 91 octane plus sea foam or another fuel stabilizer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I pay the extra $$ for the higher octane because around here, it is ethanol free.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If $$ is not an issue go for the highest octane rating, if it's E free much better. Higher octane fuels have better aditives, maintains combustion chamber much cleaner than lower octane fuels, forms less carbon build-up, engine runs smoother. If you will burn most of the fuel out of that tank on each outing don't use fuel aditives, just replenish more new fuel for next outing and so on.

Happy Boating

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, run the cheapest stuff you can find, your motor will run fine, it's not going to make much of a difference whether it's E-0 or E-10. In the US the additives are identical from one grade to the next, you are not buying a better additive package that will make your motor run better when you go from 87 to 91.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fine is not opt. If you get drunk, get drunk with a better booth. How can you state all US additives are same, done a research, know a Oil Company tycoon who happens to be your friend and has sweared it's so ?

There's a great difference betwen E and non E fuels, E fuels deteriorates rubber, o'rings, diaphragams way faster than non E fuels. Can prove that one...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The whole purpose of high octane gasoline is to prevent "pinging" or detonation in higher compression engines. Using it in the low compression Johnson you have will 1. make you feel better and 2. Lighten your wallet. It will do nothing special for the engine. Your buddies are misleading you.

Around here ALL gasoline has 10% ethanol so it doesn't matter if you buy regular or high test--you still will get ethanol.

Octane is a liquid chemical that burns and is one component of gasoline (specifically 8 carbon atoms and 18 hydrogen atoms arranged in a chain.) Way back when, it was set to a standard of 100% knock resistance and all gasolines were compared in a test engine to it. That is why all gasolines today are rated as "Octane". For example: Regular 87 octane gas is 87% as efficient as pure octane in preventing "knock". However in engines with less than 150 PSI (approximately 9 to 1) compression ratio, it will not knock under almost any circumstances And that is straight talk with no mumbo-jumbo or half truths. Now you know and can decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
nearly broke. not sure which geographical location you are within the world. if your in the midwest, premium is usually ethanol free, and that has some merit to run to avoid the ethanol issues. (not going to debate ethanol) however if your in a location that has ethanol at all pumps, it doesnt matter much. your motor was probably engineered for 87 or 89 octane (read your service manual). run fuel at the octane recommended. running higher octane doesnt get you much. running lower octane may ping.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fine is not opt. If you get drunk, get drunk with a better booth. How can you state all US additives are same, done a research, know a Oil Company tycoon who happens to be your friend and has sweared it's so ? There's a great difference betwen E and non E fuels, E fuels deteriorates rubber, o'rings, diaphragams way faster than non E fuels. Can prove that one... Happy Boating
Yes, they are the same by law, the companies have no choice. We have had this same conversation with you before and it was explained then.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's a great difference betwen E and non E fuels, E fuels deteriorates rubber, o'rings, diaphragams way faster than non E fuels. Can prove that one... Happy Boating
All fuel related components have been designed for use with E-10 since the early 90's, this includes rebuild kits, so if the carb and fuel lines haven't been done since then it's time to do it now anyhow. I will say there are some cheap fuel lines and O rings made in china that don't hold up, and the low cost products that use them need a rebuild after just a short time.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Holy mackerel, we did not even get to the oil debate.

Cheapest regular gas is fine, no additives necessary, any TCW-III certified 2 cycle motor oil, mixed at 50::1.

That is the final word!

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I look at it this way.........my 2-strokes that run wide-open (KTM 300 dirtbike or 100hp Merc) will get the 87 non-ethanol because it makes me feel "special." That's not to say they haven't had the occasional e-fuels run through them, but I do try to avoid that. On an outboard that is just going to idle all day trolling, I don't see the need to spend the additional $.15/gal because it likely isn't going to make a difference. But hey, its only an extra buck or two to fill your tank with the good stuff. You'd likely spend that on snacks or coffee, so just do whatever you feel like doing.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
for a 15 hp you will barely use any fuel in a relative sense - go high unless you plan on using the whole tank in one day. It will be a buck and a half for a tank. And if you can, go ethanol free.