Motor Value

wayne31

Recruit
What is my Mercury Motor worth? 4HP serial # A813701, only used a few times

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Motor values vary a lot depending on the area of country you are in. Check and see what they are going for where you live. Or you can check Nada guides but you won't like what they tell you.

wayne31

Recruit
It is about 15-17 years old and only used about 5-7 times......we are in wisconsin

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check craigslist in wisconsin. you will find people selling from $100 to $500 for 10hp and below. in the green bay and appleton cl, there is a brand new 6hp with warranty for $1500 and a brand new 4hp iwth 5 year warranty for $1200 listed by a dealer

based on the age, you should be able to get 2-300, however this time of year in Wisconsin, plenty of boats and motors being sold as they are being pulled from the water in prep for winter

pckeen

Commander
Ditto - the trouble with an old motor is people see 17 years, and just won't put much value on it. Having said that, I would keep it until spring, make sure it is running well (carbs clean etc.), then list it just as the snow is melting for $550.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just sold a 1984 Evinrude 15hp tiller that was used on my grandfather's boat as a trolling motor. I advertised it on Craigslist exactly how I inherited the boat.......it sat for 5yrs with old fuel in it. Cleaned it out, primed with new fuel, and tweaked the low-speed mixture for a smooth idle. It sold for $600 a day later. Some small outboards were listed for $300, some were listed for $900. Not knowing the history of this Evinrude, I shot for the middle and had no trouble getting offers.