Second Gas filter suggestions

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
I have been having issues with materials being picked up by my tank intakes. I know that I need to have the tank cleaned but right now I have about 200 gallons in there so to empty it at this time is not an option.

The "stuff" is getting caught in the anti-siphon valve at the top of the intakes. I have a raacor filter in line on both fuel lines but the debris is not making it that far. Each engine has its own filter as well. I though of just putting a screen filter between the top of the tank and move the anti-siphon valve to the other side of the filter. At least the big particles will be pulled out and the 10 micron should get everything else.

Option 2 is to just remove that valve all together and let the raacor catch everything. At least I will still get fuel flow.

What does everyone think?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Clearly you need to be able to get to the "upstream" filter easily, likely while out on the water. Usually the A-S valve is pretty in accessible. I would remove it, and put a screen filter in a place where you can get to it easily. Also carry replacements for both filters with you, plus the tools and rags necessary to clean them.

After the tank is clean, you may replace the A-S Valve.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the sender, use an external fuel transfer pump and filter (farm store, etc.), transfer the fuel to another appropriate container, then clean the debris out.

UncleWillie

Captain
pull the sender, use an external fuel transfer pump and filter (farm store, etc.), transfer the fuel to another appropriate container, then clean the debris out.

Or... Pull the sender and use the external fuel pump and filter to clean up the bottom of the tank while pumping the fuel back into the tank to stir up the crud so the filter can trap it. This is the process known as fuel polishing.
12 volt electric fuel pumps that move ~30 gallons an hour can be easily found for under $20.