9.9 merc 4 stroke question

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2007 9.9 that I am using as a kicker/trolling motor. When the motor is raised up on the trolling bracket while underway on the main engine, the prop spins like crazy because of the spray hitting it. Is this going to damage the motor?? I really dont want to relocate the bracket and if I tilt the motor up the steering linkage connected to the main engine outdrive comes apart because the 9.9 has to be tilted all the way up first in order to drop it down.

The other option I was thinking about is coming up with something to more or less capture the prop to stop the spinning until the kicker is needed.
Bottom line is I need to know if if the prop spinning in nuetral will cause problems.

Thanx! Dan

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Very similar to the question about prop spinning in neutral while towing the boat on the trailer. Short answer: No! No harm will be done. If it really bothers you and the prop is spinning because of spray impact, not a blade dragging through the water, simply put the engine in gear.

However, the lower unit is a self-contained assembly. The gears are in constant mesh with the drive pinion and will not spin when the engine is not running. The prop shaft will spin freely within the gear bushings. Since it will always be below the oil level, it will always be lubricated.