Limiting a new 50hp EFI outboard to 25hp, possible?

RAGGED

Recruit
I’m tossing around the idea of getting a new boat in the near future but have run into some issues when it comes to picking a motor. I’d like to get a motor near the max that the boat allows (50hp) but there are some areas I will want to go somewhat frequently that have a max of 25hp. I’d hate to spend the money on a new rig and have the neutered 25hp for the other 70% of the time using it outside the limited zone. With the new EFI outboards is there any way to install a HP limiting chip or program that would allow the 50hp motor to be limited to 25? Maybe a simple rev limiter modification if one was able to ascertain what RPM the 50hp surpassed the 25hp mark. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
On most engines you can always limit mechanically the throttle internal mechanism so not to open full throtttle, will depend on engine brand and sophistication.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't think it works that way. It's still a 50 to those that write the tickets. I go to electric only lakes and even with no fuel or tanks and the motor tilted out of the water, it's ticket time. It would be the same on a HP limited lake.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I tend to agree with the limit at 25 hp, and if you even think about dropping a 50 hp rig in these waters, you will receive a ticket just about every time you boat there. The limiter is not the solution, and you most likely will find this out if you try it. They don't care about limiters, that's not what's allowed, it's the total HP that they care about.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Certainly a throttle stop would limit the engine's output to 25 horsepower BUT: It is not the LEO job to interpret. If the cowling or serial says 50, the engine is a 50. If it is higher than the lake limit he writes a ticket. It is the Judge's job to interpret when you plead not guilty. You don't need the hassle.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There were official kits to put on 50hp motors to limit them to 35hp, this was an officially recognized hp reduction kit for the Kenai river in Alaska. Those were old school carb,d motors though. Now they raised the hp limit to 50 and there was no need for an EFI hp reduction kit. You would need to find a kit that was was officially recognized to avoid tickets, which is something that is probably not available.

Mopie

Cadet
Put aside enough money to pay the fine. Personally, I think you are just making your self a target with a high stress factor. "They" will walk up to you at the ramp, up close, and friendly like. If they actively patrol and enforce that lake, I would bet against you. But I never made any money betting!