need tips for finding an old "tower of trouble"

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So, buddy of mine and I picked up an old sidewinder. Gonna be a project boat. He is an old merc race team driver so I want to suprise him with a black engine for the boat.

If I remember correctly they used to make a tower of trouble in the 135-150 HP range.

I have been searching for one. I want to find a freshwater engine. Good compression would be nice but it doesn't have to run. I am trying to avoid ending up with a donor boat just to get the engine. Unless its an aluminum hull that could be sold for scrap.

Any suggetions for where to look would be appreciated. I hope someone knows of an old shop with this kind of stuff laying around.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
search craigslist in the midwest. I may know of someone that has an old 150 Tower of Power that was taken off an old Switzercraft. I can check on the status

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Yep, I keep checking Craigslist but I cant seem to broaden the search beyond my immediate area. I mostly use the computer for diagnosing E-tecs and 4 strokes (read: not computer literate).

Anyways, I have not had much luck with net searches.

Thanks for taking the time.

Every once in a while I see one for sale at ScreamAndFly. Put a post in their marketplace section explaining what you're looking for.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Dude, I been around the "island", IL6 Mercs back Illinois 70's (Chain Lakes, Blarneys, a XS 1500, on a 17 SS17 Switzercarft). Now west coast 20 years. Well versed Sidewinders, G3's, over powered Il6 "stack" any.. But theres a friend mine here, lives 20 miles from me too. The famous "DR Frankenmerc". If he does NOT have what .(west coast us), of the 100 IL6 motors hs has, ready to ship, or build ya a crank "what ya want?" block. Great guy, retired LEO, and he don't sell ANY junk for a buck, as one decades who built, and restored IL6's. HECK of a reparation to live up to., and they don't come better. He built me a crank up rebuild 135, for my 15 foot Flat Bottom. Cheap?..no, good for another 30 years? Damn right! Just go to "Fiberglassics" forum. Post in the Merc forum. Subject "Hey Doc, Robby said see you for a IL6.. Take it from there private email, or phone you 2. And at the moment, think he has 2 G3's, and 3 Sidewinders .And he shipped to a last year, a rebuild 1500 for a kid in Australia for the kid to race. Took 1st place this year! Doc great people...(name Thom Adams). That Sidewinder NEEDS A STACK! Wish the best!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might see if you can get a line to Clams Canino. He may have a source. He used to be a member of this forum. He may be inactive now.

I might have an old email address for him.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thanks scaaty...I will find fiberglassics

Thanks Chris, I will search for Clams somehow.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
You might see if you can get a line to Clams Canino. He may have a source. He used to be a member of this forum. He may be inactive now.

I might have an old email address for him.
Clams sells on ebay under the same name and his "about me" page has his phone number. Wayne (Clams ;) is a great guy and a person I consider the inline 6 guru. He lives in NC

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
He is an old merc race team driver so I want to suprise him with a black engine for the boat.
Being a ex racer myself any of the BP motors(1000,1250) any stacker or,Twister or Twister2 will keep him from walking upright for a couple of days!!!!! I wish I kept my T2x with the price as they are now.