How do I remove the Salt residue from the leg?

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi iBoaters

I'm rebuilding my Mariner 30, and I'm trying to get the salt residue deposits off the leg of the outboard.

Are there any home remedies/ products I can use to clean up the black paint on the leg?

Just tries vinegar......didn't move it and dulled the shiny paint.....Help!!!!

Cheers from Australia!

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
fgb

So here is the leg after CLR and polishing.

CLR is not supposed to be put on aluminium but I figured that I'm trying to get this off paint not alloy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
Kerry

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Your pictures wouldn't load so I don't know exactly what you are dealing with. I've had good results with WD-40 getting salt/grime/etc. off motor surfaces, including lower unit.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can't see the picture either, but if it's the usual, the discoloration has permeated the surface of the paint.

I've had good luck using automotive rubbing compound to it.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok update, after 3 different attempts to upload pics on this post, I've given up. However, i have made real progress in the removal of the mineral deposits left on the leg on the Mariner 30 hp. CLR does actually work, albeit very slowly. As it didn't make the paint underneath dull, the dullness mentioned before was the mineral deposit slowly being broken down and it reformed from a slurry to slowly being able to be wiped away. It took 5 to 6 applications of the CLR to finally return to paint, which I then was able to polish. I figure the best way would be to put some CLR into a spray bottle and wet out a paper towel and let it soak in . Success. Engine fully rebuilt and it started first time. Ready for sale