Wanting to know if motor is big enough for 22ft Aluminum deckboat

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I currently have an old 225hp Evinrude 2 stroke on my 1994 22 foot v hull aluminum lowe deck boat. I don't know the exact weight, but it's 22ft by almost 8 foot wide in the center. I was thinking about getting a 2003 Suzuki DF140 four stroke for better gas milage & no mixing. My question is will this be big enough to push her? I plan to play (tubing/skiing) and we could have up to 6 people in the boat. I assume Aluminum is a bit lighter then fiberglass but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be nice. I was thinking it would prob be best to have at least 200hp engine to get the power I want, but can't seem to find a four stroke one used.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone? I know on suzuki's website it was claiming to get pontoons up to 40 mph, but I assume with just 1 person. I figure with the v hull it should do even better and it's 1800 lbs according to nada guide.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Aluminum hulls are lighter then fiberglass but, they are slower too. Going to a 140 "might" work but there will be a significant performance decrease and if you use it for watersports you will be disappointed. The Suzuki is a great motor and remember the rule of thumb is to have at least 75% of the rated HP or more for a hull to perform properly

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well according to the sticker on the it came with a 120hp (and that's what it's rated for) so I would likely need a 180-200hp then or you saying within 75% of 120hp? The 225 replaced the original before I got it. Yes I would like to use the boat as most people do Hybrid boat for party/fishing/Water sports (mostly tubing). I would like to do some wakeboarding as well but nothing too serious in that regards.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it is rated for a 120 then a 120 will move it just fine, but no where near the 225. Is the 140 a four cylinder? If so you would probably be happier with a 150 6 cylinder to stay closer to what you already have. Just remember you are already over powered and will be with any engine bigger than a 120

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah only thing is I don't think a 120 would push it like I want it to go :) The previous owners put a 225 on it for that reason. I suspect at 140-150 should do well if I put in a 4 blade prop. Really don't need it to go anymore then about 35-40 mph just need a decent hole shot. Thanks for the input guys I haven't got the Suzuki yet but I'm considering it. It's a four cylinder I believe.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
What is the wot rpm and gps speed with the 225?
In 94 I could only find 22 ft rated for 70 hp
If we go to a 93 there is a 2200QR rated at 115 and weighs 2200 lbs.
A 140 should work but will need to be propped right.
I believe there are at least 3 companies making direct injected 2 strokes.
The 2 stroke will give you stronger hole shot. May be lighter,
has fewer moving parts and fewer and less complicated service intervals.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the input. I'm not exactly sure on RPM on the 225 but it seemed normal last time I was out. As for speed I was told it could get up to 60mph with the 225 via gps. When I was out it felt like 40 or so with around 7 people. Yeah I want go the 4stroke route cause the gas mileage and no mixing. I hear these Suzuki's are actually pretty good as far as reliability and what not.

Not sure how 70hp would work if you have 4-5+ people and wanting to use the boat to play with. I assume those boats are more so designed for cruising. This one certainly does say it's rated for 120hp, but that engine blew up & the previous owners wanted more power (don't we all lol)

Thanks!

What is the wot rpm and gps speed with the 225?
In 94 I could only find 22 ft rated for 70 hp
If we go to a 93 there is a 2200QR rated at 115 and weighs 2200 lbs.
A 140 should work but will need to be propped right.
I believe there are at least 3 companies making direct injected 2 strokes.
The 2 stroke will give you stronger hole shot. May be lighter,
has fewer moving parts and fewer and less complicated service intervals.