Thinking about a 1964 Merc

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am thinking about purchasing a 1964 Mercury 3.9 H.P. outboard locally on Craigslist. The guy says it has very low hrs. and it has a new water impeller in it. Long shaft motor. Don't know the model number, but wanted an opinion or two comparing this motor to an electric 50 pound thrust motor. I am currently using the 50 pound thrust electric on my 16 ft. fiberglass boat for trolling. I need to start out at speed (3) out of the (5) speeds it is capable of. In about 2 hrs I am on speed (4) then another hour or so, I am on speed (5) due to the battery dying down. It is a new good sized deep cycle trolling battery too. Just wondering if the 3.9 gas motor is more powerful than the 50 pound electric?? Will it troll good (it idles very nice at about 300 rpm) . Thanks for your input!

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you fishing? Or just cruising? It will certainly have more power. It will also be louder, and slightly less control. If fishing, what are you fishing for? That may help decide if it would pay off. Or buy another battery.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't take home a Merc that old for free, there are too many potential issues, and old Merc parts can be a harder to find than old Johnson/Evinrude parts.
Some people may like them though.

As far as power, any gas motor, even a 1HP model, will have far more power than a 50# thrust electric. Getting a second battery would be a much better idea than buying the Merc. Also, most low cost electric motors don't use electricity as efficiently as the slightly more expensive ones, I can troll for 8 hours with my 80# thrust electric.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You need a group 31 deep cycle battery. Deka has a good reputation.
If you troll 3 hours it will take at least 6 hours to replace the charge.
Having a good heavy (literally)deep cycle battery will discharge less as you use it and
will go through more charge cycles than a( lighter)battery that discharges more.
All ways recharge as soon as possible never let a battery stand in a discharged state for a extended period.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I added a gas kicker motor to my 19 tinny walk through windshield, fishing boat and hated the control, the smoke, and the reaching over the back to steer. The extra gas tank sucked too. So I purchased a 24 volt 52 inch bow mounted trolling motor, and never looked back. I gave up having a reliable back up gas engine, but that's ok, I have insurance and towing, and don't go remote enough to worry too much about getting home.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I can't speak on the Merc.My limited experience with mercs they are a little more technically sophisticated
may requires specific tools and the older motors parts may be more difficult to find.
The Evinrude/Jophnson 3 and 4 hp Are comparatively simple.In production 52 - 68 relatively un changed
becoming a 4 hp in the same basic 5.28 cu. ion.power head in 69.
Minor service can be accomplished with a screw driver , pliers and a crescent wrench.
Most parts new and used are readily available from BRP dealers and many on line vendors.
They are smooth,reasonably quiet,and powerful.