Motor shaft length????

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 84 Laser Ltv I bought for a project. It's a bare hull right now, but I'm in the process of buying stuff for it. I found a 1990 Force 150 hp for sale for $1000 obo. Two questions. 1) Is this a good motor? 2) The length of the shaft is 20". How do I figure out if this would be ok for this boat? This is my first time dealing with an outboard boat and I have no idea what shaft length to choose or what length would work and what wouldn't. Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Force is a marginal product at best. Parts availability is in question. They don't make them any more. That 24 year old motor is worth no more than $500, and that's if its in mint condition.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, FIRST: Does your Lazer still have a capacity plate? If so, it is rated for up to 150? If it is rated for 150, the Force 150 is a dual exhaust engine meaning that it has an exhaust snout AND exhaust exits through the propeller too. It is a decent engine BUT there are a couple of possible problems. 1. ALL Force engines of this age used a semi-keystone top piston ring. These rings frequently do seem to carbon up and catch in the exhaust ports, breaking the ring. The fix is relatively simply in that it usually doesn't require a rebuild, but it does require a new piston and ring set. 2. Occasionally, when used in racing, they did break the crankshaft. Being used in a bass boat, I would say you are using it similar to racing--let's face it--no one in a bass boat is going to idle or even cruise to the fishing grounds.

Without question, run a compression check on all 5 cylinders before buying. If any cylinder is lower than 100, it has a broken ring and you should dicker for quite a bit less.

Other than these two weak points, the engine is decent. It is simple and easy to work on and uses a 50-1 fuel/oil mix which means you don't need to worry about oil tank level or oil injection unit going bad.

If you get all the controls and if the engine is running well, then 1000 bucks is not too bad. My partner and I would be selling one for about 1500. AND, I usually pay around 200-300 for one with broken rings. Hell, the lower unit alone is worth 300 and the tilt/trim is worth 400 if you were to part the engine.

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate any help I can get. I've owned mercs and omc's but never and outboard.

Laser87

Cadet
The LTV may be kevlar. It will be embossed on the port side of the transom, up in the same location as the hull number located on the starboard side. The boat will be stable and I have not experienced chine walk with mine. I have the kevlar hull it is very light. The boat pounds in small wakes and at slow speeds under 30 mph. I am running a 1987 Yamaha Pro V-150 swinging a 29 inch pitch prop. Top speed is around 79 MPH on a water pressure speedometer at 6400 RPM.

The boat does not respond well to trim at lower speeds, and with the transom jack raised so the prop shaft is even with the rear pad or slightly above it there is no trim response. The windshield is so low that at speeds above 40 MPH it is hard to see. .

When backing down off plane you need to speed up as the boat settles into the water or you will take water up over the transom. I bought mine Laaser LTV in May of 2014 and I am thinking of selling it. It is fun at speed, but I live on a small finger lake in upstate New York and the lake is crowded most weekends and rough water, so my better half does not want to ride in it.

I sold a Laser 380 Ray, and it was a fun boat, no water over the transom, not as much pounding as it was a V hull made of fiberglass and weighted 900 pounds bare hull. The same Yamaha Pro V0150 pushed it to approximately 70 MPH, with the right conditions, 6 inch chop, tail wind it would to 74 on the same speedometer using water pressure..

Dukedog

Captain
This may be a little late but hear it is. I grew up with Lasers in tha 70's/80's. Tha LTV model was designed and built for one reason. Speed! It has ta have enough horse power/speed ta "pack air". It uses 15 and 20" motors depending what tha jack plate is built for. Horse power and set up are critical in seein' its full potential. Minimum would be 150 (Merc/Mariner my choice), high rpm, surfacing gear case/prop with 6" offset ta start. Tha "little" Force isn't one of 'em. But since this is your first adventure in this area it might be just right. Just don't judge its all around performance to harshly with that motor. I would try ta buy as low as possible. Controls?

Last edited: