Am I crazy? Re power question.

DaveInFla

Cadet
I just bought a really nice 2001 Pro Line 23 Walkaround. The boat came with a 2002 Yamaha 200HP Saltwater Series II OX66 with about 500 hours on it. I have been running the boat/engine every weekend for the past two months without a single problem. My boating habits take me 20+ miles offshore for slow trolling for 4 to 6 hours at 900 - 1100 RPM. In other words, I do some heavy duty saltwater fishing. It's in saltwater 99.9% of the time. I want to re power the OX66 with a newer (used) 225HP Yamaha four stroke, circa 2004-2006. I have found several low-time motors for sale, but just can't bring myself to committing to the change considering the OX66 is still performing so well. The pre-buy had all the compressions normal, and the lower unit sealed. Can anyone give me some PROS and CONS of 1) re-powering and 2) keeping my current motor? The $ really isn't a factor. I am more concerned with performance issues (saltwater) with the four stroke vs the Saltwater Series motor. So, AM I crazy or what?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No, it's not crazy. Most everyone I know has since changed over.

Do the math. You're fuel consumption will drop 20-30%. If you use large quantities of fuel, it will not take long to recover the cost to re-power.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If current engine it's a 2 stroke version and constantly trolling for extended hours will benefit going for a 4 stroker. 2 strokes don't like trolling too long, plug foulling issues, other than that the difference in fuel consumption between a 2 and a 4 strokes running both at trolling speeds will be minimum.

Happy Boating

DaveInFla

Cadet
Hey, thank you much for the advice. All of it. Another question - does the "Saltwater Series II" engine design give it any added protection, over the four stroke engine, in operations in a saltwater environment? Is it better designed for saltwater operations, or is it just a sales gimmick?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree that the four stroke will give you better fuel economy, but most importantly it is happy at trolling speeds. You will probably not wear out the two stroke for years to come, and the four stroke will require more upkeep, but it will run quieter and smoother. I have a 2 stroke Yamaha 115 on my pontoon, and a four stroke Yamaha on my center console. I replaced a Evinrude 2 stroke with the four stroke, the difference in fuel consumption is night and day, and the low speed manners of the four stroke are much improved over the 2 stroke. It really comes down to what you want. You do not NEED a new motor. I believe the four stroke would work better for the type of fishing you do, but the two stroke WILL work.

DaveInFla

Cadet
Good advice all around. Thank you. As I said, I am having zero issues with my 2 stroke and just last week ran a compression check. All cylinders were in the 120 - 125 range with minimal (if any) leakage. The thing consistently fires right up and never stalls. One thing though, I am seeing a bit of corrosion at the mating surface of the block and cylinder heads, mainly around the lower cylinders. It's obviously salt residue left over from some water seepage from the mating of the heads to the block. It's not serious, and there is not a lot of residue there, but enough to make me think about pulling the heads, cleaning it up, and re sealing the surfaces.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
try running some salt away through the motor before you pull the heads, and make sure the head bolts are torqued to the proper settings. That alone may fix the seepage. If you pull the heads make sure you get new gaskets and bolts. Sounds like your motor is still in great shape.