Synthetic 2 stroke oil vs G-Oil

Fiero

Cadet
I just bought a 1983 70hp Evinrude on a 16ft Bonito bow rider. I was reading on the Evinrude oil site that once you use their synthetic 2 stroke oil not to use mineral based oil after that or it could cause engine cracking?? Does anyone know if this is true? I was thinking of starting to use G-Oil so that I wouldn't be putting mineral oil in the water. Also; does anyone have experience with the G-Oil bio-degradable 2 stroke oil and if so would it be okay to use in my motor? Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Any TCW-III certified 2 cycle oil is fine for your motor. Not sure what G oil is, but if it has that certification, it is fine. Switching between dino oil and synthetic is no issue.

Fiero

Cadet
Okay thanks Chris. G-Oil does have the TCW-III certification, it is derived from beef fat and its bio-degradable and doesn't cause any harm to waterways. It's also supposed to be smoke free. I can't find it in stores but I can order it online.

82rude

Rear Admiral
ive used that oil.its fine and caused no issues other than the smell which reminded me faintly of fries cooking in oil, always made me hungry!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have used the latest synthetic oils for the etecs on my 1996 evinrude 150. Whilst it was the most expensive oil I've ever used, it also made the least amount of smoke and fumes when running across the rev range. The most noticeable was when trolling with the wind, , normallythe fumes can be a little strong, but the etec oil was almost smoke and fume free. Hope this provides another insight into your oil options.
Kerry

Fiero

Cadet
Okay 82rude sounds good I've always liked the smell of McDonalds fries cooking. :)

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check the shelf life of any oils based on animal fat (rendering). They tend to settle out and can be quite acidic.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It appears that the G-oil has the TC rating, which is for Two cycle AIR cooled motors, not two cycle water (TCW) cooled motors. Great for chain saws, and small air cooled outboards, but not for water cooled outboard motors.

Fiero

Cadet
Chris they also have the TC oil but I bought their TCW oil which is for marine outboard applications and its fully bio-degradeable

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Petrol oil is fully biodegradable too.
Tens of thousands of gallons of oil are pumped into the water every day from natural fissures in the ocean floor. And it is 100% natural.

Fiero

Cadet
I will be using the boat in fresh water only so I don't think your analogy applies