1976 Johnson 85 HP Books Needed and Best Place to Purchase?

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
1976 Johnson 85 HP Books Needed and Best Place to Purchase?

Well I picked up my very first Outboard.. A 1976 Johnson 85 HP and really know nothing lol. Where and what books should I get?

Right now or I should say tomorrow I will build an engine stand to get a better view and check condition of the motor as I was not able to at the time of purchase. I only had what the previous owner informed me of and that I could turn the flywheel over by hand. So I am pretty much starting from Scratch. And thus I am sure I will become a pain on this forum lol. But at least I now have an engine to start from of which many on this forum speak highly of. I also have to make a ton of Saw Dust Building a Boat for it. :) An 18' Panga Design by Spira International.

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
Ok Thank You But Where is he best place to get a OEM Service Manual and still retain my Head and Limbs? Thank You.

foodfisher

Captain
Mine was discovered and purchased thru internet research. The $90 purchase price included the parts list and paid for itself the first hour a mechanic didn't get to work on it. DIY is my way.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
jester :welcome: to what i think is a great forum the people on here are great also you just got some great advise . service manual a must OEM for your year and model sometimes you can find on ebay for cheap or ken cook for about 80 good luck and have fun:peaceful:

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
I found three books on e bay. The OEM Factory Service Manual,Parts Book and Owners Manual. Just waiting on the mail for them to show up.