Need help picking a motor.

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
I am currently working on an 84 Laser project boat. With this being my first restore and the first outboard boat I've owned, I'm trying to figure out what hp motor I should go with. I am looking to get at least 60mph out it. I think 60 is plenty for the river I boat in. Trying to also be as budget conscious as possible(That's funny right? Considering we're talking out boats.). I've seen a Merc 700 and 1000 fairly close to me and I really like the look of them. Are these good motors? I also am not sure what type of steering to go with. I know hydraulic is the way to go but again, trying not to break the bank. Would a good nfb system work ok? The Laser hull is very light. Not quite sure of the weight, but I know it's a fast hull. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There have been a number of boats with Laser on them over the years.
Do you have a bass boat, a race boat?
A Laser LTV? 400 pound kevlar hull or glass?

I think your Merc 700 and 1000 are a bit small to reach 60. And you would probably be better off with a motor that is newer than the boat.

I'd be looking for a 115 or 125.

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
It's a ltv. I looked to see if it said "kevlar" in the tunnel but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
What horsepower is this hull rated for? If you want to go 60 mph or more, you'll have to go for the maximum rated horsepower. I suspect you really need a 150 hp 2 stroke motor.

The motors you're talking about are very aging. You should be looking for a newer motor that's seaworthy and in great shape, as a fast hull is no place to put a junky motor.

If this Laser is that lightweight model with the semi-tunnel going to the back end, you should be careful. Fast, yes. But they're also very, very difficult to handle--chine walking, etc. SeaStar steering is the one to go with on such a boat, and you're talking $800-$1000 online.

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
The hull is rated for 150hp. And yes it is the semi tunnel.