Motor choice wellcraft 250 sportsman?

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I need to repower my wellcraft. Trying to decide on singles or twins. Mainly looking for fuel economy but don't want the boat to be an ice wagon. I'm looking at a single 200 yamaha hpdi or a pair of 90-115 johnson evinrude v4's. Boat came with a 200 omc seadrive. Would like to cruise 25-30 mph. Max out around 40 mph.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never ran the seadrive. Boat sunk in slip then I bought it for a steal. Owner didn't recall what it ran. Sat In his covered boat slip since new. Rarely used.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, if it came with 200HP, then that power probably gives reasonable performance. I would stick with a single OB, of 200HP or greater. Generally, a single motor will cost and weigh less, use less fuel and have better performance and less maintenance than twins.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
200HP on a 300HP boat would be a dog.

For lake boaters, coastal boating is not, nor will it ever be about speed. You can count the number days you can run anything over 30 kt. on both hands. It's all about having HP when you need it. Anyone who has run an inlet or spent anytime plowing their way thru a following sea knows what I'm talking about.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are going for economy I would hands down go for the single Yamaha. If you are going out in the ocean frequently I would still want the Yamaha and a good sea tow policy, but I would not be opposed to twins for the safety of two motors. Two motors will be slower and more expensive to operate, but can give you some other advantages like varying the motor speeds to maintain the course you want at lower speeds, and docking in currents.