Motor swapping thoughts

Aramp

Recruit
Okay so I have a 1984 bayliner capri that is pretty nice, good boat to have fun on. However the deck needs to be replaced along with a whole new interior. Not something I want to throw a lot of money at. My next option would be to take the good working motor off of that and replace my friends motor on his boat and then use that. He's got a 1988 four winns fish and ski that he sunk the motor on. So I was wondering how difficult the swap would be. It has a 1988 evinrude 150 on it right now. And I would be replacing it with a 1984 force 85. Just want thoughts, opinions and anything to make my mind up before I dive into it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Big (Huge) power loss ...... everything must be swapped . New holes in transom new controls. The only thing that will not need changing will be the steering

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
ABSOLUTELY! The Force will have a narrower bolt pattern that the "Rude. You will also be going from a V6 to a 3 cylinder engine with way less displacement. Don't be disappointed at the performance. Your choice is a difficult one as any money used to repair or upgrade the Bayliner will never be recovered and performance of the other hull will be marginal at best. However, if you are desperate to get on the water and only want to fish or putter about, then the Force will be a cheap way to get going.

Yes, wiring will need to be swapped as will controls, but although it looks difficult, the Force is a simply wired engine and with a little thought and time can be easily mounted in place of the 150. If you decide on doing this, go over to the Force/Chrysler forum for instructions and help.