dolphin fins?? which is the best

bob-o p

Seaman
i have one on my boat now, but i don't like it. i'm pretty sure it is just the cheapest one you could buy. i've looked back on other topics like this one, but no one really says which they prefer. surely there is one or two that is way better than the rest?

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: dolphin fins?? which is the best

I have a StingRay and think it is great!

bob-o p

Seaman

i've heard about the stingray, does it help lift you boat at wot, or does it just help planing and stability?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I use an EDGE om my Johnson 88 and it helps the boat plane at lower speeds. No effect on top end that I can see.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bob-op<br />Same question I was trying to get at... Anyone seen any magazine test reviews, or other comparison information based on actual tests?<br /><br />Lacking data to use in selecting a foil, opinions are better than nothing, but if facts are available, that makes the job of deciding which unit provides the parameters that are most important to us, much easier...<br /><br />Thanx, Obiwan

NOSLEEP

Commander

I have a gullwing style made by Atwood on my<br />120 evinrude it comes out of the water completely<br />when on plane. It sure helped the hole shot on my<br />boat. Its been on more than 10 years now.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Bob.<br /><br />I have a SE Sport 300 on my Suzuki DF70 and am quite satisfied with it.<br /><br />I think the EDGE is probably the best one out there, but it is also the most expensive.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We had a doelfin on a 50hp 15 ft aluminum for about 10 years,worked great,also had one on 120 IO for 12-15 years.worked great and outlived the boat.<br /> Both boats experienced imeadiate obvious results.<br /> They planed much easier stayed on plane at lower power and the bow stayed lower and a 5 footer could see out easily.

blipship

Seaman Apprentice

I recently put a SE Sport 300 on my 78 Johnson 140 and it turned it into quite a different animal. Hole shots are better, boat turns incredibly at WOT and stays on plane...Its a great foil for the price.

Cedarplug

Cadet

I have a hydrotroll on a Honda 75hp and it works great. It's a combination hydrofoil/trolling plate<br />in one. I have only seen it one place. The big C.

JohnnyS

Seaman Apprentice

I can't help you with comparisons, but I can offer my experience with the Stingray.<br /><br />I put it on an 87' 150 Merc. My reasons for putting it on were to 1)Improve hole shot 2)Reduce porposing.<br /><br />For the $29 and 10 minutes worth of work to put it on - I got exactly what I was looking for. Nothing extraordinary, but noticeable.<br /><br />Good Luck <br />John :)

BillP

Captain

It really depends on the hull. My flat bottom outboard with a doelfin didn't show much difference at low speeds. At top end I can trim the engine way higher without venting the prop...it goes faster at a considerably reduced throttle this way (throttled back so the 6k rev limiter doesn't kick in). I wouldn't do without it now. Been on this same boat for 18 yrs.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

They all help but none are a good as trim tabs on the boat. With boat trim tabs you trim boat with the tabs and then trim motor for best speed instead of useing motor HP to trim boat. Also can trim level from side to side to stop boat from leaning into the wind.

joking

Cadet

I have a 1987 Johnson 15HP motor that I need to get a Dolphin fin for. I have no clue where to start. Everything I?m finding is around 65.00 but nothing tells me if it will fit my motor and I really hate to spend that kind of money not knowing if it will not fit. Please advise, Thanks Joe:confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start your own thread, Joe. Hijacking old threads is a good way to get ignored.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I currently use the SE Sport on a 125hp motor with good overall results.

I have also used the smaller SE Sport with good results on an 18hp motor.
I have also used a Whale Tail with good results.

They do nothing to improve side to side sway, like if someone suddenly changes
sides in a boat, but they do improve performance and mileage.

I would consider trim tabs, especially if side to side stability is a concern.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

smart tabs im a believer there worth every dime
doel fins and soforth have nothing on them, tryed one once before the tabs
now i have to fill the bolt holes

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This thread is 6 years old.

Benny1963

Lieutenant