Outboard Motor Repair Training

parkerpaul

Recruit
I am from central Louisiana, near 3 major fishing/boating areas. Can anyone suggest a way that I can train to become an outboard motor repairman? Do the major engine companies have any schools that they operate to train their repairmen, or do I just attend a local trade school in small engine repair and hope for the best? The closest repair shop for my area is an hour in either direction, and this is area could use a good repair service, and I could use a career change. I've always been good at repairing small engines, and hoped that I could parlay that into learning the trade of outboard motor repair. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br />bluerunner

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Outboard Motor Repair Training

Maybe this'll help.<br /><br />This is topic Marine Mechanics Institute- Orlando in forum Nothing to Do With Boats at iboats Boating Forums.<br /><br />To visit this topic, use this URL:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001012 <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by Lake Rat (Member # 20354) on April 03, 2003, 02:44 PM: <br /> <br />I'm ready for a career change. Looking into MMI. Anyone have any first hand info on their program?<br />I've got all their school info and applications, but want to hear from somebody who's been there.<br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br /><br />John <br /> <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by mellowyellow (Member # 10806) on April 03, 2003, 03:21 PM: <br /> <br />I reccomend the school OHK. <br /> <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by DTS (Member # 20963) on April 04, 2003, 11:38 AM: <br /> <br />I went to a school in Daytona Beach called AMI, (American Marine Insitute). Their program is only five months at a cost of about $8000. The school is also a factory Harley training school. I work with a guy that went to MMI. The school is good but will take a year and half to complete at a cost of $13000. At MMI you only go half day. At AMI you go from 730am to 430pm. AMI also has some diesel instruction, MMI dose not. It's up to you, bolth schools are good. <br /> <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by Craig Passeno (Member # 18011) on April 04, 2003, 08:54 PM: <br /> <br />Had a "sales rep" come in to auto class from UTI universal technical institute. They really seem to have nice marine programs as well as racing, deisel, and motorcycles. Seems to me they were relatively cheap and did not mess around. Many different classes and such so I cannot tell you prices or lengths but I do know that they rush through things. I know a guy that missed two days and has to repeat the class (free). Might be worth checking into if you are a no-nonsense type of person.<br />Craig <br /> <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.2.1.1 <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty