1989 Volvo AQ131d won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry S

Cadet
At the end of the season,I took my boat out for a final run, which was about 45 minutes @ 4500 rpm. When I returned to the dock at idle speed for about 10 minutes the motor quit and would not restart. Had fuel and spark but there was salt water in the cylinder's when I pulled the plug. Someone suggested that I had a broken head gasket, but with having a closed cooling system on the motor side I felt it should have been anti-freeze and not salt water. I winterized the motor best I could and let it sit for the winter. Now I'm ready to attack the problem for this season, so I installed a new fuel filter and battery. Turns over fine but still won't start. The one thing I did notice was that the timing belt seems to be very worn and possibly slipped timing. Does this make sense, that the motor would have just quit like that and if so how hard is it to replace timing belt. How did the salt water get into the cylinders? Any help would be appreciated.

jamesca

Recruit
Maybe you switched gear to back up some how, the only reason the salt water get into Cilinder :( good luck buddy!

jamesca

Recruit
My volvo aq131d got changed starter, impeller and housing, cooling
Pipes,
Alternator belt. And themo overload breaker . The boat runs great for couple days then it sometime start it runs right away, but some time breaker keeps my engine silent. I ran very well in the morning for 10 time
Off and on but 11th wouldnt start , I spent 3 hours rowing, when at dock I hit the breaker and it started again. Although I pressed 30 time in the ocean :( . It happened like that 4 times in the row. How can I fixed it every one, please helppppppp !!'n

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Waking up a 13 year old thread is :doh:

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.