Cruise N' Carry motors, info & opinions?

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class
Summer before last one of my firearm distributors (I hold an FFL) came up with a good deal on Cruise N’ Carry air-cooled motors, brand-new. Some of the last ones after the company went out of business (why?). I reckon I sold maybe 60 or 70 of them before the supply ran dry. 1.5 hp and 2.7 hp models. I kept one of the 2.7 hp models for myself and put it away. Now I’m thinking about attaching it to a Sea Eagle inflatable (the inflatable is made for a motor) but I’m wondering if anyone knows much about these little engines. I’m also wondering if I unwittingly screwed a bunch of people and myself. From all of those that I sold, I never received a single word of negative feedback, though. Are there any spare parts around? Thanks for any info.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Cruise N' Carry motors, info & opinions?

They were made by Tanaka and could not meet the new EPA standards and have been banned from importation into this country. Sears had them as they were available under Tanaka parent brand also.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yes.... a hot running two-cycle engine runs at temperatures sufficient to fuse nitrogen and oxygen together, producing nitrogen oxides and thus nastiness like smog. That's why they got rid of the old Volkswagen too.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Air cooled engines also use more fuel because the fuel itself is used to cool the engine during the induction and combustion proccess.

ledgefinder

Ensign

We had one about 10 years ago - probably the smaller of the two. It was OK, pushed the boat along, started reliably. Positives: price, 'newness', lightweight. Negatives: 1. Corrosion control good for only about 4 years in salt water & that only for occasional use. "Peaky" power so if the prop comes out of the water it REALLY screams. Not an issue on a freshwater jonboat, but unpleasant as a sailboat kicker in big waves. Construction quality maybe 1/3rd of a good OMC.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

It's the sound of those things that comes to mind with me. Sort of a cross between a non-stop-screaming baby and a weedeater.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see; the noise level lacks a lot to be desired. <br />Does anyone know anything about the availability of spare parts, and who has them? Thanks

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Sure, Tanaka still has parts and will for quite some time yet. Go Here: web page

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure wether Tanaka is the correct manufacturer for the Cruise N' Carry. It wasn't on their list of outboards, and all the HP ratings are different.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an old Tanaka TC300 - assume it's a 3hp. It was given to me and I was able to get it runnning. Has a 2 stage centrifugal clutch which I was fortunately able to free up and repair (corrosion and the friction pads had fallen off) I ran it around the lake for awhile on my 12ft skiff. It did OK with one person in the boat, but with 2 people the prop cavitates or aereates or something. Slips, in other words. Don't know if it's the clutch or what. Very tinny, noisy little motor that gets attention because it sounds like an unmuffled weedwacker. Wouldn't recommend it for a long sea voyage<g> Does the C&C have the centrifugal clutch?

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe it does, but these powerheads were made for weedwhackers, chainsaws, augers, etc. which all have clutches anyway. I mounted a two cycle auger engine on a bicycle, and it has a clutch.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Over the years they had many different models, they even made a 5 HP about the same size as the TC-300 and the smallest was a 1.2 HP,(they actually have some NEW 1.2 HP left over...) You may have to call them to find out the the rite parts you need...

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sent them an e-mail earlier today, and asked them in they did carry the "Cruise N" Carry" line. By the way, all of the outboards have been discontinued, according to their website.