Could someone please help provide me with some information about lacquer vs. ena

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could someone please help provide me with some information about lacquer vs. enamel paints as it pertains to an outboard? I was going to paint my motor in lacquer, but I'm not sure now. Which is harder? I'm talking canned aersols here; I have the know-how but not the equipment nor the space to be mixing my own. I read on a website (http://www.pathcom.com/~nymarine/pntinfo.html) that alkyd enamel is the best. Any information would be welcome.

Ted S.

Seaman
Re: Could someone please help provide me with some information about lacquer vs.

Re: Could someone please help provide me with some information about lacquer vs.

See Franki's reply in a strand named way overpwered. Feb 18 2002 Here's an excerpt.<br /><br />"My proceedure for painting the leg and cover (essentially everything bar the powerhead)<br />was this.<br />1. circular wire brush in drill machine, get rid of all loose paint. REALLY well.<br />2. sand down as many raised old paint edges as you can with emery.<br />2. ETCH primer, apparently this is important I am told, it must be ETCH primer.<br />3. sand again to get rid of irregularities caused by old paint.<br />4. another code of etch primer and more sanding.<br />5. Several coats of ACRYLIC LACQUER.<br /><br />I went to a boat place, and looked at the OMC and oftermarket paint for outboards, they were both 35 dollar cans of white acrylic lacquer.<br /><br />So I went to the hardware shop down the road, and bought 4 cans of Anchor lacquer, at 9 bucks each,, its the same stuff, or as close as not the matter.<br /><br />so I got 4 cans for the price of one.. and I used all four cans, (in fact I am gettin a 5th tomorrow to keep for touch ups.<br /><br />I choose apliance white.. that way no matter what brand you get, its the same color. (after all, your fridge can only be one shade of white.)<br /><br />looks fantastic I might add, the finish came out looking like new, you wouldn't think for a minute that this is a 30 year old outboard."<br /><br />Hope this helps,Cheers!

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the information Tedinator.<br />About how many coats should I apply (or how many can you get out of 4 cans :)?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John Reynolds<br />Make sure you get all grease and oil off and any loose paint. If down to bare Aluminum then I would flush with vineger let dry then prim with Zink Chromate primer. Important to use paint with low or no copper. I buy OMC color matched paint at about $6 per 12oz can.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's interesting; what does copper do in paint? Thanks for the advice

Ted S.

Seaman

My guess is probably 4 to 5 coats or until it looks sufficently covered. Light coats are a must.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I don't know how everyone else does it, but I repainted my Rude 2 summers ago and it has held up well. I used a spray on paint stripper from Home Depot to remove all the paint(Worked Great) and then sanded everything down using less and less abrasive paper as I went. Finished up with 600 wet. Primed everything using Zinc Chromate(2 coats) and then finished with Tempo Spray on. Put 3 coats of finish on and 2 clear coats. Waited a week and hit it with Wax. Seems to be very hard paint and has not come off a bit, except for the random chip here and there. Took me 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of paint. I don't know the properties of Tempo Paint, but it seems to work well.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rick<br /><br />Is tempo a lacquer?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it is.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John <br />Copper in the paint is used in some paints to stop algae, slime, barnacles, and marine growth. Problem is copper causes Aluminum to CORRODE.<br /><br />Check out West Marine's on line catalog. Go to West Marine and click on online catalog at bottom right. When it comes up put in page 333 at top left, enlarge so you can read short artical. Also some very expensive outdrive paints on page. Then at top left put in page 349 and hit go. Let it load and enlarge, page 349 is Where most of paints for outdrives are located.<br /><br />www.westmarine.com