WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

Why do we have to rely on a compilation of anecdotal stories to determine what engines are best? It seems to me that most, if not all of us, want engines that perform well and last a long time, giving us a good value for money spent. Aren't there any scientific and systematic collections of information (think Consumer Reports auto) that will clearly define what brands have performed best over time?

I don't see how it's possible. There are just too many variables that would need quantified, classified and accounted for in the numbers

I guess you could do something with owner’s surveys but we all know how much moaning and groaning these types of surveys get from the owners of equipment that didn’t fair so well in the surveys.

Lots of excuses and finger pointing even though it was the actual users of the product that expressed the dissatisfaction. Just watch :D

www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf2006/2006USMarineEngine_E.pdf

http://powerboat.about.com/od/boat_tests/a/JDPow_07Engines.htm

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/marine/article3.aspx

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is like asking which is better, GMC, Dodge, or Ford. I am preferanced to Johnson/Evinrude because I have had pretty good luck with them. I have known some good runnng Mercs, Yamaha's and Honda's also though. I think one thing to keep in mind when purchasing an outboard is availability of parts and service. If you purchase an outboard but have to drive 100 miles to get service or parts it might be more feasible to find a dealer closer even if it requires going with a differant brand. Research is the key, all makes have lemons.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Why do we have to rely on a compilation of anecdotal stories to determine what engines are best? It seems to me that most, if not all of us, want engines that perform well and last a long time, giving us a good value for money spent. Aren't there any scientific and systematic collections of information (think Consumer Reports auto) that will clearly define what brands have performed best over time?
That proves one thing. There is no one good brand. Now, there are a few old ones, that aren't around anymore, that could be unanimously agreed that they are garbage (not talking about force/chrysler either) but no one can say, without a doubt, that one engine is better. Now, we could tell you which is better for a certain purpose. Obviously, you wouldn't want to put my 1936 4.3 horse, or any of these '50s 10 and 15 horse motors on the back of a bass rocket. Nor would you want to put a four stroke on the back of an 8 foot racing hydroplane.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all the mainline motors today are only as good as the maintenance the owner gives them. they are all good reputable, reliable motors. it's the owner/user that is bad.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Has anybody heard of Parsun outboards? www.worldoutboards.com/ Their cost is about 2/3rds their competiters cost. They claim to be about 80% compatable with Yamaha parts. I don't know if that means Yamaha made the parts or if you can just use Yamaha parts on their motors. There is another brand called Nautic- www.nauticmotors.com/ that look like the same motor.

I have no idea who makes these things.

**How do you make the links not be links?**

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Has anybody heard of Parsun outboards? Their cost is about 2/3rds their competiters cost. They claim to be about 80% compatable with Yamaha parts. I don't know if that means Yamaha made the parts or if you can just use Yamaha parts on their motors.
I have no idea who makes these things

It took some digging but it appears that Parson's is a joint venture with Genovo Power Machine Co., Ltd.

We are the first company to export gasoline generators in China since 1995, and have expanded our businesses to many other power products, such as outboard engines, chain saws, etc...

With the help of our old and new customers, and through our continuous commitment to improve the quality and service, we are now among the top companies to produce and export all kinds of power products including gasoline & diesel generators, engines and water pumps, outboards, etc...Since 2000, we have been exporting large quanity of power products to high end market such as Europe, US and Australia, etc...Many of our power products are with CE, GS, Euro II, EEC or EPA certificates.

We are eager to build long term partnership with good customers based on our reliable quality and fast professional service. We believe our quality is the best power to maximize our customers' value and satisfaction.

Can you say Yamaha knock-offs?

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, I figured they had China written all over them. The lower units do look just like the Yammy lower units. They look like descent outboards on the outside, but of course that means little. I considered them when I made a recent Tohatsu purchase and then quickly un-considered them. But who knows, maybe they are Yamahas in disguise. ;)

rkelly01

Recruit

Did OMC recently file for bankrupcy protection (Chapter 11) because of the poor product they were producing? I think it was the 60 degree engine they started engineering?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rkelley01, i think you are a decade behind the times.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did OMC recently file for bankrupcy protection (Chapter 11) because of the poor product they were producing? I think it was the 60 degree engine they started engineering?

you are in the past. that happened in 2000 and was mainly because of the FITCH RAM motors.It was a thrill to take one of them motors out because you never knew if you were going to live or die.and the blame would go to the EPA.If it wasn't for them OMC would have never build that crap

wbeaton

Commander

That's not why they filed bankruptcy, but the Ficht injection didn't help things. Call it poor management and a down turn in the recreational products market.

My vote for best motor...

Whichever one I'm selling at the time!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

you are in the past. that happened in 2000 and was mainly because of the FITCH RAM motors.It was a thrill to take one of them motors out because you never knew if you were going to live or die.and the blame would go to the EPA.If it wasn't for them OMC would have never build that crap
Not necessarily due solely to the Ficht motors, but they helped. OMC started buying out all sorts of boat companies, to package their motors on (much like Brunswick does these days). Now, the only way for a company like this to live, is to buy out these other companies, but, one had to be on top of his game their. If they didn't buy enough, the company would go under, and if they bought too many, the same would happen. Well, then an I/O craze came along, and the OMC stingers did okay, but mercruiser seemed to dominate the market. Then, the four stroke craze came along, and OMC didn't quite keep up fast enough. Bad management, as wbeaton said, overbought, and didn't keep up the times sending the company into bankruptcy. Unfortunately, they went under, as aside from a few lemons, they made a superior product. Luckily, I got seven of em. And that number is often growing.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Those looking for new mid-range engines have some deals to choose from. A sampling:

Honda:
115hp $300 rebate thru 2/29/08
135hp $350 rebate thru 2/29/08
150hp $350 rebate thru 2/29/08
All come with 5-yr extended warranty. Warranty offer good thru 3/31/08.

Mercury:
Most engines come with 5-yr extended warranty. Offer good thru 4/15/08.

Suzuki:
Most engines come with 6-yr extended warranty. Offer good thru 3/31/08.

Yamaha:
150hp $500 rebate thru 3/31/08
Most engines come with 6-yr extended warranty. Offer good thru 3/31/08.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and will perform regular maintenance
on your motor, then the best motor for you will be the biggest o/b that comes
closest to your budgeted spending amount, and that fits on your boat.

If you are not mechanically inclined, then the best o/b for you is the one sold
by your local dealer, who will service it for you.

If there was any best or worst, quality wise, it would already be well known.
With the competition that exists today, a worst o/b would fail to survive
in the marketplace.

cmb3366

Cadet

I only buy older 2-strokes. What I've found is maitnence, not brand name, is the key to a good outboard. Doing basic things like Decarbing, fogging the engine for storage, changing the impellar and plugs yearly, and keep the carburator in top shape go a long way toward a reliable outboard you will be happy with. If you neglect them, or take them to a dealer that does a half-assed job, you are going to have trouble. I've even owned one of the often maligned Force motors, and so long as you kept up maitnence, it was as reliable as any other OB I've touched.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

So trying to reduce the amount of rubbish pumped into your environment is a bad thing?

The other manufacturers managed to comply with EPA and didn't die. As someone else said, produce a bad outboard and the public will kill it. That's what happened here. Manufacturers get years of notice about the changes coming and it's up to them to make products that comply, not complain when their produces are rubbish...

And since so many posters have made reference to 'older' engines, I'd like to add to that particular debate. Someone needs to draw a line in the sand and say that anything built before 19xx is no longer acceptable for use. These old engine may well be reliable, but they are outdated and they wouldn't even get on the dial of the pollution meters. They are horribly ineffecient and are adding heavily to our already overburdened environment. Time to retire these oldies, no matter how good you think they are, and get something more in line with looking after the future, not the past.

Chris...........

jbjennings

Captain

Chris, I'm thinking that using the new synthetic oil in the old 2-strokes is very helpful as far as pollution (I've actually started using it in the interest of environment, dirty motor, etc.) and I can really tell the difference in the amount of crud it gives off. Also, I'm suspecting if you compared the amount of pollution given off during the manufacturing process for new motors, it might kind of cancel out the negatives of using the oldies. I certainly hope that noone pulls the "can't use 'em" thing here....I'm sure the engine manufacturers would just LOVE that...along with new outboard dealers. I'd be just sick if I couldn't use my "old faithful" anymore.
JBJ

achris

Chris, I'm thinking that using the new synthetic oil in the old 2-strokes is very helpful as far as pollution (I've actually started using it in the interest of environment, dirty motor, etc.) and I can really tell the difference in the amount of crud it gives off.

Good to hear...

jbjennings said:
Also, I'm suspecting if you compared the amount of pollution given off during the manufacturing process for new motors, it might kind of cancel out the negatives of using the oldies.

That's one thing to also consider. It is true that over the life of product 'x' which is of older, less environmental friendly, but with more longevity against product 'y', a newer, less polluting, shorter lived product, the real differences may be negligible. But as manufacturing processes improve, and laws become tighter, that equation will tip in favour of the newer product.

jbjennings said:
I certainly hope that noone pulls the "can't use 'em" thing here....I'm sure the engine manufacturers would just LOVE that...along with new outboard dealers. I'd be just sick if I couldn't use my "old faithful" anymore.
JBJ

Already happened in many countries of the world. They don't phrase it quite that way, they just make a standard that all engines must reach. If it doesn't reach the standard, it's out! USA, most of Europe and Australia have the largest recreational markets in the world. Therefore those countries are the largest recreational contributors to the pollution problem. It is only a matter of time (hopefully a short time) before lawmakers open their eyes and see it. Most of the world is a signatory to the Koyto protocol. Once USA signs, it must do a lot of things to get on track. I'll bet recreational engines, be them outboards, snow mobiles, jetskis, aeroplanes, lawnmowers or 4WDs, will all come under the microscope.

wbeaton

Commander

And since so many posters have made reference to 'older' engines, I'd like to add to that particular debate. Someone needs to draw a line in the sand and say that anything built before 19xx is no longer acceptable for use. These old engine may well be reliable, but they are outdated and they wouldn't even get on the dial of the pollution meters. They are horribly ineffecient and are adding heavily to our already overburdened environment. Time to retire these oldies, no matter how good you think they are, and get something more in line with looking after the future, not the past.

Chris...........

A comment like that can sure angry the blood. I won't say much on it as it will only upset me. I will say that I am not only a collector of classic outboard motors, but I am also an environmental professional trained in environmental and earth sciences. To say that something shouldn't be used anymore because it has become inefficient is not necessarily a environmentally sound reason. In fact it is just the opposite. The basis for environmental policy in North America is rooted in recycling and reuse. To trash any working piece of equipment means it must be replaced with something new, which adds to our over-consumption of goods. A lot of resources are consumed in the production of goods. With the amount of use some of these old motors get it just simply does not justify the production and subsequent pollution caused by the production of a new replacement. Regulators make new legislation so that future equipment will be more efficient and pollute less, but they understand that as equipment ages it will eventually fall out of service. They also realise that as these motors fall out of service the ones remaining will account for so little of the total amount of pollution that they effectively become negilable. Therefore, there is no need to ban all motors (etc) that are of a certain age or type. This doesn't mean that certain areas can't have there own legislation (like lakes that don't allow carbed 2 strokes), but it is rare that any functioning piece of equipment like this would be banned from use completely.

Furthermore, to say that we should turn our back on history and the achievements made by our ancesters is appalling. Next you would say that we should not be allowed to use and enjoy antique cars or airplanes? Or play old radios or television sets. Where do you draw the line on efficiency? Do you buy a new refrigerator or toaster very 10 years because they are less efficient than new ones?

achris

Where do you draw the line on efficiency? Do you buy a new refrigerator or toaster very 10 years because they are less efficient than new ones?

Please show me a refrigerator or toaster that is 10 years old and still working efficiently and I'll buy it!

I am not saying that we should ignore the past. I'm just pointing out that the continued rescue and 'undying love' for all things old will hold back the progress into the future. By all means use a product, but when it reach the end of its life, let it go... Don't keep reserecting it.

But the day will come.... believe me! (It already has in many countries)

Chris...........