WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

RJS I have had the opportunity to view the motor in detail I will have one on the boat mid July when they are released.

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heard the Honda makes pretty good outboard engines. Some say they are quieter than most American made engines. Since I am American, I'm gonna buy an American made engine!!! :p I want a brand new Mercury 200HP engine! Anyone wanna buy me one?

kglinz

Cadet

What a question! My 1952 model Martin 45 still runs great.

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1952, WOW! You must know what you're doing! Good deal! :) Whats your secret?

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I dont like the johnson white paint it sucks. I think my Forcebymercury is a better finished product than that. The japs make the best outboards no doubt. Honda is sweet but heavy,yamaha looks to be the best. Mercury/Yamaha/Honda/Evinrude all #1.

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, Flatsman: come on!! american made is always playing catch up with quality..took years for GM, Chrysler, and Ford to make cars that have similar quality as Honda, and Toyota (those damn ricers!). Now its happening with outboards. And look, you've got Daimler-Chrysler, Mazda-Ford partnerships. In outboards, Johnson-Suzuki, Yamaha- Mercury. OMC is now owned by Canadians. wonder why this might be happening? Quality gaps, productivity inefficiencies, and brand name trade off. You've got Honda. Toyota, Nissan, volkswagen plants in the states. <br />Wake up , we're in a global village and just because a product doesn't say "made in USA" doesn't make it inferior, in fact , could be quite the opposite. And these same products create and sustain American jobs in some way or other.<br />Nuff said.

PJHawkins

Cadet

There is no doupt in my mind you can't find a better motor than a "Hoyt Clagswell" and I just happen to have one on my truck. Let me know if you're interested, Sincerly Mr. Hainey

flatsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey same said before Buy american ----or sadam model it's your choice ---Still use them USA products. Spare are available and the knowledge also. American first ----of course ya can make a good living working on the foreign stuff ---but the jobs sure don't pay as much. And on an outside chance , they may produce a complete throw away engine.. then ya won't need spare parts -huh Just a thought for the generations to come---hey with the higher fuel prices to come ya may not need to be doing fun things like boating anyway. By the I am American ---or had ya guessed . :D

homeboy387

Cadet

Its got to be a HONDA for me.After runing crab pots for 6 years side by side the Honda Guys,i have used 2 outher brands with not much luck.The last 2 years i have been Powered by the Honda.As for the past 2 years the tow rope has been on the outher end of my Boat.

mudbass1

Cadet

Something I know no matter what you buy now will have some part that is not made in America,Eletronics,Seals,Nuts&Bolts. Just about something on everything far as engines,Chevy,Ford,Dodge,Mercs,Johnson will have a forign part on it.Unless you make it all your self at a machine shop which by the way will probably be made on a forign machine,also you better make your own steel billits,oh yea the gas you probably use will come from another country. I am an American 100% but the only true Americans are the Indians. So it dosen't matter what motor you buy, just as long as it serves it's purpose...........I've used them all and they done me well. <br /><br />If it Don't run Fix It

rkelly01

Recruit

I'm in the process of revitalizing a 1980 Scarab Sport. It's 29'6" and currently has a pair of 1990 Johnrude 225. I want to upgrade but don't have the money for brand new. I'd like to purchase 225 or 250 engines built in the early 2000. I know OMC has had their problems, Merc has had their problems as well. Yamaha was great in the 90's but what is the right previously owned out boards for my project?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I've only had 2 outboards in the past. Both 9.9's and both were the older Johnsons and Evinrudes from the late 80's. I loved those motors. Recently my cousin purchased a 9.9 Merc for his duckboat and he has had nothing but problems. Its been in the shop more times then on the water. Its missing contantly and when it does it puffs a nice smoke screen. We have the 50:1 mix right on the head and even the dealer has taken it out and noticed it. New carb was put on and electronics but still did it.

D

DJ

You folks do realize that this thread is four years old-don't you?

jbjennings

Captain

I like 50's johnsons---all metal parts, easy to work on, great engineering---easy to start, smooth running, etc. If I bought a new one I don't know what I'd get. I try to buy American but I don't think it's possible anymore as far as new stuff; the old ones are made with real sure 'nuff AMERICAN craftsmanship! I don't think I'll ever buy a new "modern" one. The parts are outrageously expensive and you have to have a PHD to work on 'em. And like any machine, they all break sooner or later.
JMO,
JBJ

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

You folks do realize that this thread is four years old-don't you?

Yup, Maybe 4 years later people have some more feedback on their motors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There aren't any bad engines on the market. You can always find someone who heard about. . .you name it. Most often the cause is either the user or the wrench.

The best outboard to buy is one you can work on and get documentation, parts and quality service locally.

If you don't use a good service manual religiously, neglect it, abuse it or take it to a lousy dealer or wrench I almost guarantee that you will end up hating it. That will not be because it is a poor design, poorly built, where it was built or what cotton pickin' color it is.

If you treat it like a disposable piece of junk, as too many Americans treat everything they own, it will become a disposable piece of junk.

JRJ

Commander

My friends and I had a debate the other night on which outboard engine was the best. So...Which outboard engine performs the best? What is the best overall outboard engine?

Funny. I bought a Johnson, made by Suzuki in 2003. It was the best that year.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I like 50's johnsons
Funny, I like 1936 Evinrudes.:D

Of my collection of 7 outboards at the current, I like the Johnnyrudes the best. Oh wait, scratch that. They are all Johnnyrudes.

Seriously though, I would prefer older motors. If we are talking about larger outboards, I would say 70s, and 80s. Putting a fat 50, on my weekend bass boat just doesn't seem like a great idea, but I wouldn't be at all against a 70s V4. As far as smaller outboards go, I would go back even further - 50s, 30s, 20s even. Probably wouldn't want from from back before 1909 though.:D I don't think that I would want to try and run something from before then.;)

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

I AM A BIG FAN OF JOHNSON/EVINRUDE'S FROM THE 1950'S.EASY TO WORK ON PARTS ARE CHEAP AND EASY TO FIND AND THESE MOTORS WERE BUILD TO LAST AND THATS WHAT THEY DID.YOU WONT FIND ANY PLASTIC ON THESE MOTORS.50 60 70 80 90 EVEN 100 YEARS LATER THE OLD IRONS ARE STILL FOUND AND IF THEY WERE TREATED RIGHT IT WILL COST VARY LITTLE TO NOTHING TO GET THEM RUNNING LIKE NEW AGAIN.and if you think about it there is NO way newer motors will ever last as long as the old OMC's.50 years from now yea i need a new computer for my 2007 etec.sir im sorry but we haven't made them in 30 years and I don't think you will be able to find a working one.but you know what my 1955 evinrude will still be cruising the lake.you cant beat old American iron.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why do we have to rely on a compilation of anecdotal stories to determine what engines are best? It seems to me that most, if not all of us, want engines that perform well and last a long time, giving us a good value for money spent. Aren't there any scientific and systematic collections of information (think Consumer Reports auto) that will clearly define what brands have performed best over time?