• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

I'm in the process of revitalizing a 1980 Scarab Sport. It's 29'6" and currently has a pair of 1990 Johnrude 225. I want to upgrade but don't have the money for brand new. I'd like to purchase 225 or 250 engines built in the early 2000. I know OMC has had their problems, Merc has had their problems as well. Yamaha was great in the 90's but what is the right previously owned out boards for my project?

Comment

I've only had 2 outboards in the past. Both 9.9's and both were the older Johnsons and Evinrudes from the late 80's. I loved those motors. Recently my cousin purchased a 9.9 Merc for his duckboat and he has had nothing but problems. Its been in the shop more times then on the water. Its missing contantly and when it does it puffs a nice smoke screen. We have the 50:1 mix right on the head and even the dealer has taken it out and noticed it. New carb was put on and electronics but still did it.
      90 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG Alpha 1
      Vortec Heads, LT4 HotCam Upgrade
      GM BowTie 1.6 Roller Rockers
      Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake
      Edelbrock 600CFM Marine Carb * New MPH* 65.2
      Laser II 21 Prop 5400 RPM's Corsa Exhaust

Comment

You folks do realize that this thread is four years old-don't you?

Comment

I like 50's johnsons---all metal parts, easy to work on, great engineering---easy to start, smooth running, etc. If I bought a new one I don't know what I'd get. I try to buy American but I don't think it's possible anymore as far as new stuff; the old ones are made with real sure 'nuff AMERICAN craftsmanship! I don't think I'll ever buy a new "modern" one. The parts are outrageously expensive and you have to have a PHD to work on 'em. And like any machine, they all break sooner or later.
          JMO,
          JBJ
          Not a certified mechanic but I have at least 2 shade trees in my yard and my wife always says I'm certifiable. So remember that when you follow my advice

Comment

Originally posted by DJ View Post
            You folks do realize that this thread is four years old-don't you?

Yup, Maybe 4 years later people have some more feedback on their motors.
            90 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG Alpha 1
            Vortec Heads, LT4 HotCam Upgrade
            GM BowTie 1.6 Roller Rockers
            Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake
            Edelbrock 600CFM Marine Carb * New MPH* 65.2
            Laser II 21 Prop 5400 RPM's Corsa Exhaust

Comment

There aren't any bad engines on the market. You can always find someone who heard about. . .you name it. Most often the cause is either the user or the wrench.

The best outboard to buy is one you can work on and get documentation, parts and quality service locally.

If you don't use a good service manual religiously, neglect it, abuse it or take it to a lousy dealer or wrench I almost guarantee that you will end up hating it. That will not be because it is a poor design, poorly built, where it was built or what cotton pickin' color it is.

If you treat it like a disposable piece of junk, as too many Americans treat everything they own, it will become a disposable piece of junk.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmerc View Post
                My friends and I had a debate the other night on which outboard engine was the best. So...Which outboard engine performs the best? What is the best overall outboard engine?
                Funny. I bought a Johnson, made by Suzuki in 2003. It was the best that year.
                Lake Shasta with Mt. Shasta in the background, June 2011

Comment

Originally posted by jbjennings View Post
                  I like 50's johnsons
                  Funny, I like 1936 Evinrudes.

Of my collection of 7 outboards at the current, I like the Johnnyrudes the best. Oh wait, scratch that. They are all Johnnyrudes.

Seriously though, I would prefer older motors. If we are talking about larger outboards, I would say 70s, and 80s. Putting a fat 50, on my weekend bass boat just doesn't seem like a great idea, but I wouldn't be at all against a 70s V4. As far as smaller outboards go, I would go back even further - 50s, 30s, 20s even. Probably wouldn't want from from back before 1909 though. I don't think that I would want to try and run something from before then.
                  http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,482,00.html
                  Click above to view my 1542 jon boat project.

Comment

I AM A BIG FAN OF JOHNSON/EVINRUDE'S FROM THE 1950'S.EASY TO WORK ON PARTS ARE CHEAP AND EASY TO FIND AND THESE MOTORS WERE BUILD TO LAST AND THATS WHAT THEY DID.YOU WONT FIND ANY PLASTIC ON THESE MOTORS.50 60 70 80 90 EVEN 100 YEARS LATER THE OLD IRONS ARE STILL FOUND AND IF THEY WERE TREATED RIGHT IT WILL COST VARY LITTLE TO NOTHING TO GET THEM RUNNING LIKE NEW AGAIN.and if you think about it there is NO way newer motors will ever last as long as the old OMC's.50 years from now yea i need a new computer for my 2007 etec.sir im sorry but we haven't made them in 30 years and I don't think you will be able to find a working one.but you know what my 1955 evinrude will still be cruising the lake.you cant beat old American iron.

Comment

Why do we have to rely on a compilation of anecdotal stories to determine what engines are best? It seems to me that most, if not all of us, want engines that perform well and last a long time, giving us a good value for money spent. Aren't there any scientific and systematic collections of information (think Consumer Reports auto) that will clearly define what brands have performed best over time?
                      tbonefortysix

Comment

Originally posted by TonyNoriega View Post
                        Why do we have to rely on a compilation of anecdotal stories to determine what engines are best? It seems to me that most, if not all of us, want engines that perform well and last a long time, giving us a good value for money spent. Aren't there any scientific and systematic collections of information (think Consumer Reports auto) that will clearly define what brands have performed best over time?

I don't see how it's possible. There are just too many variables that would need quantified, classified and accounted for in the numbers

I guess you could do something with owner’s surveys but we all know how much moaning and groaning these types of surveys get from the owners of equipment that didn’t fair so well in the surveys.

Lots of excuses and finger pointing even though it was the actual users of the product that expressed the dissatisfaction. Just watch

http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf20...neEngine_E.pdf

http://powerboat.about.com/od/boat_t..._07Engines.htm

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/marine/article3.aspx
                        Grady White 226
                        200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                        Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                        Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                        ICOM M504A VHF
                        Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

That is like asking which is better, GMC, Dodge, or Ford. I am preferanced to Johnson/Evinrude because I have had pretty good luck with them. I have known some good runnng Mercs, Yamaha's and Honda's also though. I think one thing to keep in mind when purchasing an outboard is availability of parts and service. If you purchase an outboard but have to drive 100 miles to get service or parts it might be more feasible to find a dealer closer even if it requires going with a differant brand. Research is the key, all makes have lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyNoriega View Post
                            That proves one thing. There is no one good brand. Now, there are a few old ones, that aren't around anymore, that could be unanimously agreed that they are garbage (not talking about force/chrysler either) but no one can say, without a doubt, that one engine is better. Now, we could tell you which is better for a certain purpose. Obviously, you wouldn't want to put my 1936 4.3 horse, or any of these '50s 10 and 15 horse motors on the back of a bass rocket. Nor would you want to put a four stroke on the back of an 8 foot racing hydroplane.
                            http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,482,00.html
                            Click above to view my 1542 jon boat project.

Comment

all the mainline motors today are only as good as the maintenance the owner gives them. they are all good reputable, reliable motors. it's the owner/user that is bad.
                              FLORIDA GATORS
                              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Has anybody heard of Parsun outboards? www.worldoutboards.com/ Their cost is about 2/3rds their competiters cost. They claim to be about 80% compatable with Yamaha parts. I don't know if that means Yamaha made the parts or if you can just use Yamaha parts on their motors. There is another brand called Nautic- www.nauticmotors.com/ that look like the same motor.

I have no idea who makes these things.

**How do you make the links not be links?**
                                “We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.”

Comment

Working...
                                X