Is 5 HP enough to move my Jon boat?

Mcr5h

Recruit
I was interested in getting a 14' flat bottom Jon Boat (boat weighs 130lbs empty) and wanted to know if a 5 hp 4-stroke Briggs & Stratton engine would be enough power for a boat that size. Would it be able to move in large rivers with slow moving currents or only be affective in lakes? How fast do you think it could get up to in lakes? Thanks <br />Mike

NathanY

Commander
Re: Is 5 HP enough to move my Jon boat?

I started out with a 14 ft flat bottom with a 6 hp evinrude and it did just fine. I would not have tried it on a raging river, but the river I fished was not a fast moving river.

ob

Admiral

Mcr5h,I am going to recommend that you start with around 10 hp.I too at one time owned a jon boat of 11 ft. length powered by a 5.5 hp.It would get me from point A to point B only if I ran it at WOT.I'd get me a motor that I wouldn't be wanting to upgrade a week after I got it.I say this baring in mind that you will be using it on a 14ft. boat in moderate current.Just my 2 cents.

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I fished for 45 plus years with a 1956 5.5 HP Johnson. I used in on everything from a 10' jon boat to a 14' heavy (250 lbs) v-bottom. I found it adequate for lakes and even moderately fast midwest rivers at flood stage. I was more interested in the fishing than the boating. The extra minutes getting to and from the fishing hole were used enjoying the surrounding.<br /><br />I did just purchase a 1972 9.5 HP however. It gave me the most go for the least lbs. at the right price. Had I not found it I would have bought a 5.5 or 6 HP.<br /><br />Just my input.

sloopy

Commander

I use my briggs on my found john boat and I get about 12 to 14 miles per hour depending on the weather and lake conditions, the briggs is a nicew engine.!!

sloopy

Commander

for you john boat don't expect anything faster then 12

Big Al1

Seaman

Depends on how fast you want to go. If you are fishing large lakes and want to move from one creek or point to another and hit many spots in a few hours you may want more power. I have a 6hp on a 14ft jon that is probably the same weight as yours and it goes 9mph. I routinely fish a lake that is 28,000 acres and needed to go faster. So I got a 15hp. Now I can do 30+mph! I still like the 6hp for small rivers and saltwater flats. In very shallow areas a large motor (over60lbs) is going to lower your boat depth or draft. My 15hp is 75lbs and lowers the boat an additional inch or so. So it depends on the water you run it in.

mbrueck

Cadet

More than likely, you won't have enough horsepower to plane. This means you'll be pushing the boat at displacement speeds (5-8 mph). You'll get pretty much the same performance with a 5 HP no matter what the load, but if you want to operate at planing speeds you'll likely need 8 - 15 HP depending on load.

ahollinger

Seaman Apprentice

I have a '53 5 horse johnson on my 14 foot jon. It planes as long as I have a construction block up in front. I weigh 250 and that puts a lot of weight in the back.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

While 5HP will move your boat at displacement speeds, keep in mind that you may have a situation someday where you need to move in a hurry [storm, injury, etc]. Thats when the extra HP really pays off. My 2 cents goes for a bigger motor.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 14' with a '57 7.5 Evirude. It gets me where I want to go, but it is not fast. However I am a little bigger than the 250# someone else mentioned. If you are fishing small lakes and don't mind going slow, then the 5 will work. If your are going to be crossing lakes, then get something bigger. 9 to 15 should do the trick.