Frozen Cable inside tilt tube.

mlcatlopez

Seaman
Does anyone know how I can pull out the steering cable from the tilt tube? I have a 30hp motor, mounted to a 13' boston whaler. Any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :(

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Frozen Cable inside tilt tube.

Many times the motor will have to be lifted from the transom to allow enough room for a big hammer and rod to pound it back out.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

I removed the link arm and tapped the shaft with a rubber mallot so that I could clean it by pushing and pulling little by little from inside the tilt tube. Unfortunately, it's stuck about 2" inside the tilt tube. Any suggestions? :confused:

Capt Ken

Commander

You are going to need something to go inside the tube so you can finish knocking it out. Now I have a long (18 inch) 3/8 extension that I use to knock them thru. After a few times of this, the extension isn't good for anything else anymore. After getting the steering cable out, you will need to find a steering tube brush to clean out the corrosion. Its looks like a long gun barrel cleaner that you can fit in your drill.

ob

Admiral

Determine the i.d. and you can go to any hardware dept. and buy a lenghth of small schedule 40 pipe you can use as a drift to hammer it out.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

So, do I disconnect the cable on the other end of the tilt tube and then proceed to knock it out? :confused:

ob

Admiral

10-4. Are you going to be changing this cable out to a new one?

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I used a hack saw to cut the steering bar off from the cable, so I wouildn't have to wrestle with the cable and pounded the remaining seering shaft out. You might want to use a piece of rebar, with the lip of the end going in rounded off, so it doesn't scar the interior of the tube. If you use rebar, you might want to grease the bar to act as a buffer against the tube. Oh yea, it will take a little time to cut the end of the steering bar off, as mine was made of stainless steel, as I'm sure yours is too. After I got the steering bar out, I used a steel "bottle" type brush to clean out the "mung" and flushed it with WD-40. For my final act, I used a wheel cylinder hone to smooth out tube, flushed it again and ran an oily rag thru the tube. This worked real well and is a lot easier than dismounting the engine and removing the tube to get the shaft out. ...Bob in Calif... ps: Don't forget to use GOOD waterproof grease when you install your new cable.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

Hi Guys<br /><br />I didn't plan on replacing the cable with the steering shaft but I guess it appears that it might be my next step. Today I will try to remove the grease fittings, and fill the holes with WD-40. I've heated the tilt tube with a torch,and so far it's moved a fragment of an inch. :confused: What are your thoughts on removing the fittings?

Capt Ken

Commander

Excuse me, you haven't disconnected the cable nut on the starboard side? That's the first problem. Remove nut, then knock the steering rod out. The grease fitting don't go anywhere near the steering cable. They only grease the bushing where the engine tilts.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

Capt Ken<br /><br />I tried to disconnect the cable nut on the starboard side but with each turn I got resentance. In other words, It would spring back into place as I turned the nut. should I disconnect it from the steering too?

ob

Admiral

mlcatlopez,If you plan on changing cable out with new just cut it off at the fitting end.This will prevent the binding and you won't have to negotiate transom clearance when knocking out.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

I ddidn't plan on changing out cable. The one that is in there is two years old. I was hoping to go at it easy, and be able to remove without damage.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

OK! I finally removed the tilt tube from the motor, but I can't seem to unscrew the the cable from the tilt tube. I've lubricated the shaft of the cable with WD40 and sat it in an upright position until tomorrow. Hopefully the WD40 will help loosen it up. Any suggestions? :p

ob

Admiral

mlcatlopez, The point of contact between the retaining nut and the steering cable sleeve is miniscule.If it twists when trying to loosen simply hold a backup with a small pipe wrench and go.You can also use a "small" hammer to shock any scale loose between nut and cable sleeve.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

Thanks Ob!<br /><br />Today I purchased some penetrating oil to soak the tube and cable in a bath of oil. I hope this will help loosen the nut on the cable.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

Update! <br />Just wanted to let you know that I fianlly separated the tilt tube from the steering cable. I took a piece of clothes hanger and made it into a hook, I then got some steel wool and my drill and clean the inside of the tube. Its pretty clean but I did notice that there were some pitted spots inside the tube. Do you think if I pack it with Lithium grease, it will hold up? Should I use a different lubrican for the steering cable? :confused: Please share your thoughts.

mlcatlopez

Seaman

Merry Christmas indeed!<br /><br />I finally got everything in order. I removed the cable from the tilt tube, then cleaned the inside of the tube, greased and re-installed. The steering is as smooth as butter, but I couldn't have done it without the help of all of you. Thank you and Merry Christmas!<br /><br />Mila :)

ob

Admiral

Mila, Glad to hear you got your steering cable installed.Keep a light film of Triple guard grease on exposed rod when finished boating and move steeering left and right to distribute.If stored indoors I always like to leave mine in the starboard turn full exposed position to prevent sticking.Ocassionally I recommend backing off cable nut ,turning wheel until internal steering rod is exposed,wipe all contaminates off and apply a small amout of grease to internal rod.Turn wheel until cable nut is touching and tighten back in place.<br /><br /> happy holidays.