steering system upgrade

93ultra

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know if you can upgrade a steering system from a tiller (cable and pulley) system on a 1964-66 mercury 650 outboard? I have a 1958 Performer that has a really outdated steering system that isn't the safest in today's standards and would like to upgrade. Any help is appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering system upgrade

Sure. Look in the iboats Boat Parts and Accessories up above. You can buy rotary or rack system with a steering cable. Does you 650 have a tilt tube? If it does then you will also need a steering link arm. If it doesn't have a tilt tube, then you need what's called a cable clamp block.

93ultra

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GA_Boater for the response. It does have a tilt tube. Is the rotary or rack system better than the other? What are the advantages of either? I'm trying to keep the boat as original as possible and keep the old steering wheel and chrome bezel do you think that's possible?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes room behind the dash is determining factor. Some swear by one or the other. Personally I've only used a rack system, so have no comparison. Here are a couple of discussions in the forums, there are more. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pair/boat-steering-rack-vs-rotary-274000.html and http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-ma...etter-rack-pinion-rotary-steering-331677.html

As far as keeping the old wheel and bezel, it's going to be a try to fit thing. Most wheels today have a standard 3/4" shaft and key. In older cable and pulley systems, the shaft sizes are all over the map it seems. You just have to see if the wheel and bezel of your older parts match up.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks GA_Boater for the response. It does have a tilt tube. Is the rotary or rack system better than the other? What are the advantages of either? I'm trying to keep the boat as original as possible and keep the old steering wheel and chrome bezel do you think that's possible?

Ayuh,.... I doubt yer wheel, 'n bezel will swap over,...

But,...
The original double cable, 'n pulleys, when installed, 'n adjusted properly, is actually Better, 'n safer than goin' to a single cable system,...
It's a Preferred system on many outboard Race boats,...

93ultra

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I should look at redoing my cable system to keep the original look.