25 hp: Yamaha 4 stroke v. Merc 2 stroke

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Looking at a couple of small 14' boats with 25 hp engines. One with an '02 Yamaha 4 stroke, one with an '02 Merc 2 stroke. Both about the same price. New to newer o/b's, and I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but any suggestions?
Initially thinking the yammie--I like the idea of smooth, quiet, better gas consumption (but how much better? I can't seem to find that info). But I hate the idea of the extra weight. Looks like it's ~170# (don't know if that includes the electric tilt) v. the merc at ~110#. Huge difference on a little boat, and my main reason for getting it is so that I can lug it around myself easier than the "big" boat.
So now I'm leaning to the merc.
However, any big reasons to avoid either of them? I may just negotiate with both, see who gives me a better deal.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Re: 25 hp: Yamaha 4 stroke v. Merc 2 stroke

Well, decided to go with the merc. I had assumed both were salt water, but apparently the merc has been fresh water only. Also, seller took my first offer (should have gone lower!). Any advice on what to look for? I'm basically just taking it for a sea test. If it runs well/shifts smooth/etc, any other trouble spots in these? Guess check the gear oil? Oh, obviously haven't seen it yet. It's about an hour away, so going to head there tomorrow, and hopefully drive off with it!

kfa4303

Banned

Both are great motors, but I think you'll be happy with the Merc. It weighs quite a bit less and is still pretty dang smooth and quiet, at least to the vintage motors I run. They're also very popular down here in FL where folks love to use them on their small, light, composite hull flats skiffs. Congrats on the new toy!

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a '80 model 25 hp. Merc 2 stroke and I like it. It has a lot of pep in the motor.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Pulled the trigger on the merc. Gambled by running on muffs but not sea testing it . Fortunately, looks like I had an honest seller. Went about 15 miles in it today, hit 26 on the GPS. Think I got an OK deal for $3200 in April. Has a stereo installed, came with anchor, life jackets, fishing rods, fire extinguisher, etc. Fun little boat. Engine is smooth, not TOO loud, seems good on gas. The boy likes it too. The wife doesn't understand why we needed another boat ;)

cs.jpg

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Congrats! Just tell wifey that the question she should be asking is why you DON'T need another boat. Tell her you're trying to assemble an armada and that she'll get to be the admiral. It might by you some time :)