Remote control cable sets compatibility 1974 set on a 1977 Evinrude

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I have good set of remote cables on my boat that were to my 1974 Evinrude 115 hp that I just removed. I put on a 1977 Evinrude 70 hp. If the cables are good, is there any reason to change to the ones that came with the motor I bought? Are these remotes compatible?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote control cable sets compatibility 1974 set on a 1977 Evinrude

Not seeing any pictures of any controller, cables or the engine, I can only assume they would work. You will have to make sure that the controller pushes and pulls to suit the engine controls. If those are correct then you need to verify the throw ratios...the actual length of travel from the controller to the actual controls on the engine. More trial and error sort to speak...

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

The cable systems look exactly the same. I did reference motors, " 1974 Evinrude 115 hp that I just removed. I put on a 1977 Evinrude 70 hp." I have all original documentation on this motor, including service manual and parts list, owners manual etc. I also have the service manual on the 1974 Evinrude I took off the hull the controls came off of. Where would I find the throw ratios for these remote systems?
Isn't that what the trunnion nut is for?

Not seeing any pictures of any controller, cables or the engine, I can only assume they would work. You will have to make sure that the controller pushes and pulls to suit the engine controls. If those are correct then you need to verify the throw ratios...the actual length of travel from the controller to the actual controls on the engine. More trial and error sort to speak...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Are both the control boxes the same? That is where the ends will differ. The engine ends should be the same.

The older 2 lever unit uses different ends inside than the single lever unit as I recall.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, both control boxes appear the same. They are both single lever systems.
Are both the control boxes the same? That is where the ends will differ. The engine ends should be the same.

The older 2 lever unit uses different ends inside than the single lever unit as I recall.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

74 and 77 units should interchange fine. Both should be red plugs and the cables should be the right length for the boat. Should be plug and play.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Excellent! I sort of thought they should interchange from looking at them. I think I'll service whats on the boat and move on for the season. What's on my boat is way better than the ones that came with the motor!!! Thanks

74 and 77 units should interchange fine. Both should be red plugs and the cables should be the right length for the boat. Should be plug and play.

Last edited: