What do think of my fuel tank?

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
This is a 20 gallon fuel tank off my boat I just pulled it to replace the motor. This is all external damage, no leakage from tank at all!! I can inert the tank and grind out most of the rust, use a rust neutralizer on the rest, prime and repaint. Any and all opinions welcome? By the way, the rest of tank looks great. Why wouldn't it!:laugh:

Gas Tank 4.jpgGas Tank 1.jpgGas Tank 2.jpgGas Tank 3.jpgGas Tank 5.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do think of my fuel tank?

You will be carrying the equivalent (in gasoline) of multiple sticks of dynamite. Grinding out the rust reduces the thickness of the tank itself AND gasoline tanks have a MINIMUM metal thickness required by safety regulations. Repairing that tank is literally playing with fire. Break down and buy a new one. The couple of hundred you spend will be the cheapest insurance you ever buy.

The damage is from having the tank sit directly on the floor. All water that runs under it is trapped as moisture and eventually damages the paint, then starts rust. Even if you buy an aluminum tank, elevate it a half inch or so. That way air can get underneath. Not really necessary with a plastic tank.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

OK, Point totally taken! I'm gong to call this a great and wise answer and buy a new tank!
I understand why the damage happened, unfortunately the design of the boat causes this to be the case, no room for air space. I think I will downsize tank and allow more room for air on new tank. I can always take a spare tank on board for those extended trips. Thanks for excellent advice!!!!!

You will be carrying the equivalent (in gasoline) of multiple sticks of dynamite. Grinding out the rust reduces the thickness of the tank itself AND gasoline tanks have a MINIMUM metal thickness required by safety regulations. Repairing that tank is literally playing with fire. Break down and buy a new one. The couple of hundred you spend will be the cheapest insurance you ever buy.

The damage is from having the tank sit directly on the floor. All water that runs under it is trapped as moisture and eventually damages the paint, then starts rust. Even if you buy an aluminum tank, elevate it a half inch or so. That way air can get underneath. Not really necessary with a plastic tank.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, The tank doesn't look too bad. Why not wire brush the tank, wipe it with acetone, paint it with rustolium rusty metal primer and re-install it? Use a shim to raise it up off the deck.

robert graham

Admiral

New polyethylene tank...and you can forget it....Moeller makes many sizes/shapes/capacities to choose from....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't use that tank either. You don't mess with fuel in a boat.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I thought about doing the same thing, but agree with Frank Acampora about replacing it from a safety standpoint. Also, if I did repair it, it would still not fit in the space and allow for an air gap, then the same thing would happen again. Robert Grahams suggestion about a polyethylene tank in a size that fits the space seems like a good idea. I'm interested in knowing how much surface deterioration would be acceptable before the tank should be replaced? I have no idea how thick this tank is. It's original on the boat(I think!!!!) so is around a 73 or 74. Came off a Glasspar V165

Gee, The tank doesn't look too bad. Why not wire brush the tank, wipe it with acetone, paint it with rustolium rusty metal primer and re-install it? Use a shim to raise it up off the deck.