What is this called and do I need it? Outboard engine mount.

jimmydean_71

Seaman
So my engine is mounted to a height adjustable mount that is mounted to the transom.

2014-04-03%2018.15.26_zpszs9ieclj.jpg

I can understand the advantage of being able to raise the motor for shallow waters, but I really don't see using my boat in that shallow of water. It just seems like an unnecessary piece of really heavy hardware that I don't think I will honestly use. The switch is ghetto mounted and the wiring is awful.

So is it worth having because I have it, or would it be better to direct mount my motor and lose the excess weight?

It also seems to obstruct the drain for the rear section of my boat. Not a huge issue, just annoying. Thanks for the feedback.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: What is this called and do I need it? Outboard engine mount.

It's a jack plate. I would keep it unless your specifically having a problem with it. I've even got a better one I can sell you =)

jimmydean_71

Seaman

I just don't see other boats with them, but if I can make the drain work with it, I will leave it. Thanks.

scipper77

Commander

That is a nice addition. The jack plate allows you to raise as much of the outdrive out of the water as possible without cavitation. This means you will have less drag from the lower unit and get more performance out of the motor. It's really not meant for shallow water.

MikDee

Banned

Some people would almost kill to have a jackplate on their boat! With it you can raise your motors cavitation plate to above the bottom in increments to get the maximum speed, & efficiency of your motor, & prop. You just hafta be careful to keep your water intake/pickup in the water. You could also probably take it off & sell it for a decent price.

jimmydean_71

Seaman

Hmm, good to know. To clarify (since I am new to the forum) I just bought this boat and it's my first. Its an '87 20' Marlin Aries with Mercury 200hp 2 stroke outboard. I just got it running this week and took it out for the first time on Tuesday. I didn't top it out, but I was doing close to 45mpg on GPS. I had the motor all the way down. I will have to play with height/speed next time I get her in the river. I was only out there about an hour before it started to get dark and my girlfriend was cold when hauling ***.

Looks like I still have a lot more reading to do. It has an aluminum prop on it now, but I got a stainless one with the boat. I was told it will do 70 with the ss prop. I will get used to the boat before I go that route. No room for error on a stainless. :lol:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

I'm guessing the po went to the expense and trouble to install the jack plate cause the boat was plowing.......just a guess

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have a Jackplate on my 16' Avenger. Like most other things in this world, it is a trade off. The Jackplate allows you to raise the motor for max performance. What I have found is that max performance is achieved thru a combo of motor height and trim. Too high of a motor, and she doesn't trim effectively, lowering top speed. Also, too much motor height and she won't pull skiers, for some reason. Finally, with the setback of the Jackplate, the motor weight is further astern, causing the transom to ride a bit deeper when not underway. I plan to remove the jackplate and set the motor back on the transom. I also have an 18 Y.O. boy who likes to drive it fast. I am hoping to detune her a bit so he makes 19.

jimmydean_71

Seaman

I don't ski and am not out to pull any. I bought this boat because I like to go fast. I drive a 380hp Corvette, I had a 167hp 390# streetbike from hell, this is just something different on an available environment. I am really happy with the purchase. I have about $300 worth of interior and wiring work to do still and if I can keep this motor running all season, I will likely upgrade it to something newer next year. Although part of me likes the old school look. I could get all new parts and repaint it. Who knows.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Well now you have to show us the rest of your boat, ya cant just tease us and then leave it at that. 70 mph on the water is crazy fast, ever hit the water on a ski going around on the outside of a sharp turn? I have, and I have the broken ribs to prove it. Be safe, have fun, post pictures.

jimmydean_71

Seaman

I have no good pictures of it yet. It needs to be buffed out real bad and the trailer looks like hell so it detracts from the boat. I need to get some shots of it in the water. Here's a few from the weekend I drug it home 4 hours away.

2014-03-05%2016.31.50_zpskz52yyba.jpg

2014-03-05%2016.32.22_zpssaufnbma.jpg

And the interior that will get redone

2014-03-11%2014.43.39_zpsdnkkcr3j.jpg

jimmydean_71

Seaman

I have a better cover for it now, that's actually a dingy cover on it in the pics. :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Jack plate sets the motor back into some what cleaner water(less turbulence).
Your able to adjust the height for each performance requirement. It will vary depending on the wave action,load
and load placement. The stainless prop will probably allow more height.
Your trim adjustment will also help handling for the various water conditions and load/load placement.
Trimming up usually adds speed.If you are just cruising trimming down may make it easier to maintain uniform speed
at reduced throttle without having to constantly mess with the throttle.
Running wot should be done with caution accidents on the water can happen very quickly.
Check out Youtube I think the title is bass boat accident.
A guy just crossing a wake gets messed up.

jimmydean_71

Seaman

This is my first personal boat, but it isn't my first time boating. I was a master helmsman in the Navy and went through small boat school, but it was 20 years ago. :lol:

Like everything else I own, I will ease into what it's capable of and won't push it's limits. But I didn't get a 200hp speed boat just to putter around, either. But there will certainly be some puttering as well.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Are you between safe min, max wot rpm factory stated for that engine with a SS prop and light loaded boat ? Boat could be riding hapilly at 70, how do you know if already isn't over revving at that speed ? What max numbers does you tach read at wot ?

Happy Boating

jimmydean_71

Seaman

Are you between safe min, max wot rpm factory stated for that engine with a SS prop and light loaded boat ? Boat could be riding hapilly at 70, how do you know if already isn't over revving at that speed ? What max numbers does you tach read at wot ?

Happy Boating

:rofl:

Those are all great questions. The motor is a Mercury Black Max 200. The boat is an '87, but there are no identifying serial type numbers on the powerhead and the serial on the transom mount is unreadable. The transom mount is off a Mariner outboard (silver) anyway.

I have no idea what year the motor is. I've only had the boat out once on Tuesday and never went above 4k. The tach reads 7, I think max, but I will have to double check that tonight. I spent about an hour on the river total going about 2500-3k rpm just cruising. I had it up to about 4k max and was doing near 45mph on my GPS app. I need to fix the speedo, temp, trim, and battery gauges still.

If you know the specs or can point me to them, that would be great. I hear people talking about running the older 200's at 7k no problem, but again, I'm in no hurry to push it until I get WAY used to it on the river. I do plan to spend a lot of time this summer in it, that's why I bought it. I live 10 minutes from the Scappoose boat launch, it looks like a 20 minute exercise to on the river running.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

When you have tamed the beast, test combo on flat no wind waters with you alone and lightly loaded boat at wot, to check if running at near or top of its factory stated max wot rpm parameters. Nobody runs wot all the time, just for fast plane, unless you work for an oil Company. But in case you need to rum wot in a rare event such as a storm is chasing you, will know that engine will run hapilly inside safe wot parameters all you want.

The wot specs should be inside Merc web page, or somebody that knows them will surely chime in.

Happy Boating