Evinrude speedifour 75 H.P.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi again guys,

I've been on here a lot lately due to me looking at some boats and motors to buy. Well, I bought one today. Question:
This motor is an Evinrude 1965, 75 H.P. I do not know the model number, but I can get it if needed. I tried testing the gears by hand spinning the prop. With the motor NOT running, the prop was free wheeling both directions,when it was in neutral, which I believe is normal. When we put it in gear (forward) the prop would not free spin in either direction, and the same when we put her in reverse, no free spin in either direction. I called a mechanic that works at a local marina and he said this is NORMAL on this motor because of the "clutch dog". He said there will be NO FREE SPINNING of the prop in either gear, and this is normal. Sounds like I got snowed or not????? Is this normal for an engine with a clutch dog???
The boat is showroom as is the motor!!! (In and out)!
Thanks, IGGY

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude speedifour 75 H.P.

101_0233.jpg101_0234.jpg102_6459.jpg102_6458.jpg

No, you did not get smoke blown up your butt. With dog clutch drives it is normal for the prop to lock up in both directions in both gears and spin freely in both directions in neutral

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude speedifour 75 H.P.

Thanks for the reply Frank. I feel better now that I get that from someone on here. Cannot wait to get her on the water (as soon as the 20" of ice breaks up and blows out of the lake into the river). If we wait 'til it melts, it would take another month!! The boat I bought looks like a new boat in and out! Even the carpet looks brand new and the seats and hull too. All chrome is shining and not pitting at all. Motor started right up after sitting in a barn all winter.
Thanks again!