1989 Johnson 4.0hp deluxe

dormanxc04

Seaman Apprentice
This may sound so crazy to yall. Is the choke on or off if i push it in or pull it out? I know it sounds stupid. But im curious? I just got the outboard. If someone knows anything about this motor and can verify it for me that would be awesome. Thanks.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 4.0hp deluxe

yup. as above. I had the '90 version some years ago, and it's a great little motor. I don't recall if there is an air silencer under the hood, blocking your view of the carb, but if you looked into the throat of the carb you would see the choke plate opening and closing as you push/pull. If it makes you feel better, I recall having a heck of a time getting it to start one day, then remembered to put the little red clip back in place -- started on the first tug, as it usually did. It would be good to pick up a service manual for the motor -- believe you have to take off the powerhead to replace the impeller, which is a little daunting if you are not too familiar with outboards. (no big deal with that motor. should replace the impeller, though, if you aren't sure when it was last replaced.)