Outboard motor storage rack

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 15 or 20 ( I haven't counted them) outboard motors ranging from 1 hp to 10 hp. I want to build a single rack along one wall in my garage to hang them on. I am mixed as to what direction to have them face. Propeller out, or starter rope out. I am also thinking of making it a double decker, putting the smaller and lighter motors on the top rack. I am looking for design ideas. I would appreciate it if you could share some ideas with pictures.

Here is a video of some vintage outboars mounted in a garage.

Vintage Outboard Show - YouTube

Thanks,

Greg O.

64osby

Admiral
Re: Outboard motor storage rack

For me it will be individual or tandem rolling stands. Gives the ability to move them and work on them without lifting. I'm getting lazy or smarter, not sure which. Right now I have one on a boat, one on a stand and three on a double deep shelf.

If it's a fixed stand I would look at prop out so the motor doesn't have to be lifted over the beam.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Lag a 2X6 thru a piece of 4X4 which acts like a spacer, to the wall studs. Remove the props, so they do not get damaged, and use the transom clamps to mount the OBs. You probably want to nail a 2X4 a way's down, so the gearcases do not hit the sheetrock.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you have an unfinished space, nail 2 or 3 2x4's horizontal across the studs, spaced out with a 2x2. That will fit 90% of the motors. 1950's vintage Johnsons with front fins on the cowl will need an extra 1 1/2" clearance. If the wall is drywalled, add another 3 1/2" to the spacer.

I have a dozen or so on separate stands on the floor or on a boat, but at least 50 hang on 2x4's on the walls of my 3-car garage (the "boathouse").

IMG_0049.jpgIMG_0052 web.jpgIMG_3528.jpgcollection.jpg

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you everyone for the ideas. JimS123, that is a wonderful display, that is kind of what I had in mind. Thanks for the pictures. I only wish my collection looked as nice as yours, but with retirement looming in the not to distan future, I will have plenty to keep me busy.

Last edited: