Fuel Injected Tohatsu or Carbureted Yamaha?

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
We are ready to buy a new outboard for our current project, a 13' 1956 duratech. We went to the boat show on Wednesday and have narrowed it down to two engines, A Tohatsu 25 or a Yamaha 25. The two engines are roughly about $450 apart, Yamaha being the cheaper option. The main difference I can see between the two is Tohatsu is fuel injected and the Yamaha is carbureted. The Tohatsu also has power trim/tilt, is 3 cyl vs 2, and has a little more displacement (25cc). The warranty is the same between the two, and both come with a propeller. The Tohatsu also comes with a gas tank, I am not sure about the Yamaha. Is the fuel injected Tohatsu worth the extra money over the carbureted Yamaha? Is one motor better than the other based on another factor?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Injected Tohatsu or Carbureted Yamaha?

Two or four stroke?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If both engines are the same design, just based on the convenience of power trim, the Tohatsu is a better deal. Once you have power trim, you will never want another engine without it.

But, as JB asked: are you comparing a 2 stroke to a two stroke or a two stroke to a four stroke?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In this case, the Tohatsu is faster out of the hole and faster at top end.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

EFI and power tilt/trim.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

You know something? I took a serious look at Tohatsu at the Miami International Boat Show last week. I am going to rethink my opinion on these motors. I was really impressed with the technology and quality control. I would definitely consider putting one on my boat.

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i own a 30 hp efi 4 stroke. 2 yrs old . 65 hrs on it. use it to push a 1648 weldbilt. pt/t. love it. thought about the 25 hp got the 30 for a little more. it uses so little gas i went to a 3 gallon tank. no choke electric start and it retains the pull start. top speed 29+ mph with 1 guy. cruise at 22 mph all day long, top out at 26 mph w/ 3 guys, use a lot more gas though. this is my second tohatsu. u probably know they make mercurys and nissan. all in all the efi is a big plus. consider it. drop me a line if u have some questions good luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner

My vote goes for the Tohatsu......Have heard good reports about them.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I realize my answer does not address your question, so if you don't like it just ignore it!

If it were me I'd buy an Evinrude Etec. Not only is it American Made and supports Americans, but its simply a better motor just because, and also because its a 2-stroke.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

UH, Jim----Evinrude is made by Bombardier in CANADA. Yeah, I know a lot of Americans consider it the attic, but it is a different country and you do need a passport to get in or out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Actually, all Evinrude etec engines are made in the USA, in Sturtevant, Wisconsin.
They also operated a die casting plant in NC.

The non etec engines (15 hp and smaller), are made by Tohatsu.

So, by all means, take a look at the Tohatsu AND the Evinrude.
Online prices look to be about equal.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That says something about Tohatsu as being an old Evinrude fan myself.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

think I would put a '56 Tohatsu Big Twin on that Duratech.

Luke000

think I would put a '56 [Evinrude] Big Twin on that Duratech.

Well if it was %100 my boat and I was the one buying the engine, that is exactly what I would be doing!

Thanks for everyone's input! An Evinrude E-Tech is my absolute first choice (and I am still getting quotes) but at the boat show last week, the Evinrude was considerably more expensive than Tohatsu and especially Yamaha.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

nice motor. But the '56 Tohatsu comes with trim adjustment and a carburetor with an automated, pressurized fuel delivery system -- with engine shut down if the pressure delivery system fails! :)

Hey -- Good boating. Sounds like a nice rig.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why do you want to put a Japanese engine on a truly American Classic?

Kind of like putting a Toyota engine in a 57' Chevy. You'd be laughed out of a car show. Not to mention the shunning of anyone that appreciates classic cars.

Mercury and Evinrude have great engines in that size class.

It doesn't matter where it was assembled, by robots anyway. It matters where the MONEY goes. Keep it in North America-at least.

Evinrude and Mercury arre perceived as American.

The last outboard I bought-2011 Merc. 60 Four Stroke-was assembled in China. But, at least I knew that the vast majority of the money went to Wisconsin. Not Tokyo.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Why do you want to put a Japanese engine on a truly American Classic?

Kind of like putting a Toyota engine in a 57' Chevy. You'd be laughed out of a car show. Not to mention the shunning of anyone that appreciates classic cars.

Ask and you shall receive! Relatively sure this might win best-of-show in quite a few car shows! They stuck 650 toyota horses under that hood... Came with about 170hp from the factory for the top package.

Other than the hard-core original-is-the-only-thing-that-matters crowd, the engine choice of this vs original is a non-issue! They can have their 170 horses (minivan's have double that these days...), I personally would have no trouble driving that car around on a nice summer evening!

227185.jpg

'56 Chevy Packs Toyota NASCAR Power

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

could be the American Graffiti Chev! Harrison Ford's car?

Last edited:

Luke000

Actually, all Evinrude etec engines are made in the USA, in Sturtevant, Wisconsin.
They also operated a die casting plant in NC.

The non etec engines (15 hp and smaller), are made by Tohatsu.

So, by all means, take a look at the Tohatsu AND the Evinrude.
Online prices look to be about equal.

Evinrude is, as of now, out of the running. The quote I got is $900 more than the Yamaha and $500 more than the Tohatsu (already a stretch for the budget) Plus it does not come in a short shaft model.