Kicker steering to I/O

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Have a pre-alpha and am mounting a 15 hp Nissan.

What is the best system to join the two together so I can use the main steering wheel.

Last edited:

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kicker steering to I/O

Love your truck. Nothing pulls like a diesel.
Without knowing how you plan to mount the kicker, it's difficult to come up with an exact solution but there are many available.
I'd start by looking at something like this:
DownloadedFile.jpeg
If money were no object, you could consider one of the many remote electronic options that include auto pilot etc. I now people that swear by them and a few that swear at them. Personally, I use a linkage rod between my main and kicker. It's reliable and cost a fraction of the full feature electronic models.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

yeah love my truck bought it when I was travelling 50K+ per year and had a 12k lb boat. I'm down to about 30k miles per year now so looking like I'll have her until I die.

mount is:

71092.jpg

I've seen the two you've mentioned and regardless of what I've already done to this 'free' boat not wanting to spend a huge amount. I am leaning towards that one basic one. Then I can splurge later on the remote throttle...

So you have the basic, and its on an I/O? No issues with binding up especially with the kicker up? fyi this one lifts enough to not have to tilt.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those brackets work but buy the best one you can afford. Is there a "lift assist" of some kind? Some of the spring-only ones I've used were a bear to raise up and the ones that were easy to lift you almost had to stand on the kicker to make it go down. I assume those issues have been addressed by now. Do you have electric start on the kicker? It might be difficult to pull start in the full down position and I can't tell how much room you have back at the transom.
On the positive side, you will love having the two motors steer form the helm while trolling. I later added a troll control so the kicker speed can also be controlled at the helm. Very happy with it and easy to install.
15hp seems about right for that size boat. A very comfortable looking ride.

Nuaticocat

Cadet

I have a 50 Honda with a 2 Honda kicker for crabbing. I made a linkage rod that goes from the front center of the Honda 50 to the steering arm on the 2 . steers well from the console. I have to go back the the kicker to change throttle or disconnect for running, but it serves its purpose, ie , slow running while pulling pots with my kids. spent about 15 bucks in materials.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Those brackets work but buy the best one you can afford. Is there a "lift assist" of some kind? Some of the spring-only ones I've used were a bear to raise up and the ones that were easy to lift you almost had to stand on the kicker to make it go down. I assume those issues have been addressed by now. Do you have electric start on the kicker? It might be difficult to pull start in the full down position and I can't tell how much room you have back at the transom.
On the positive side, you will love having the two motors steer form the helm while trolling. I later added a troll control so the kicker speed can also be controlled at the helm. Very happy with it and easy to install.
15hp seems about right for that size boat. A very comfortable looking ride.

sorry grabbed the wrong pic.

71091.jpg

ALUMINUM AUXILIARY MOTOR BRACKET FOR 4-STROKE MOTORS

MODEL NUMBERS
71090 71091 71093
Raise and lower trolling and auxiliary motors on power and sailboats with ease
Built especially for new 4 Stroke, heavier, high torque motors
Extra Wide 11 1/2" (29cm) Black Poly Mounting Board for new, wider style motor locking clamps used on late model outboard motors
Accommodates long or short shaft motors
Motor Safety Cable included for added protection
With 5 vertical running position lock bar to compensate for water surface and boat load conditions – Hard coated for added resistance to wear
New, ergonomically designed twist lock safety knobs secure bracket in place
Heavy-duty stainless steel torsion springs help counterbalance motor’s weight
Easier to hold with comfortable, soft Hypalon grip handle designed to accept most style outboard motor locks
Black satin Anodized aluminum body resists corrosion – Dubbed the “Black Beauty" Outboard Motor Bracket
2" Thick, Extra Wide Black Poly Mounting Board – Weatherable and maintenance free
Aircraft Type Stainless Steel Hardware – For increased durability with nylon friction resistant washers
MADE IN THE U.S.A.!

No electric start, but kicks on very easily. When fishing I'll have the back bench seat out so can get right to it; haven' started on boat but thinking I'll be good.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I have a 50 Honda with a 2 Honda kicker for crabbing. I made a linkage rod that goes from the front center of the Honda 50 to the steering arm on the 2 . steers well from the console. I have to go back the the kicker to change throttle or disconnect for running, but it serves its purpose, ie , slow running while pulling pots with my kids. spent about 15 bucks in materials.

What parts did you use? I think my only challenge would be attaching from the I/O.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

That bracket looks way more stout than the ones I've used in the past (70's). That is a good thing!
I started with something like this: images.jpeg and pretty much built the rest out of scrap stainless I had laying around. The geometry isn't perfect but you'd never know it when under way.
My setup, while different than your, had it's own problems/challenges. I'm sure yours will too.. :)
I had to first build a bracket for the kicker to move it back far enough to get linkage to connect. After that, it was pretty easy.
kickerlinkage.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The store bought kits have cumbersome rods and butt ugly brackets. A SS rod, QD swivels and a little ingenuity beats all.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

I don't need as light tension on kicker steering bushing keeps straight and at trolling speeds the I/O steers good enough . When fishing Im back there can hand operate . Have used to even load on trailer with kicker and really like this fuel sipping set up but when on the Great lakes Im making a linkage as sometimes I have to run kicker at faster speeds to counteract wind and waves for drift slowdown .
kicker.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

any pics?

Strictly homemade with SS parts. Used an existing bolt on ther top of the outdrive, and had 2 drill 2 holes in the lower cowl on the OB. With it being QD, I don't leave it on unless its in use.

P6100289.jpgIMG_3481.jpgIMG_3480.jpgIMG_3479.jpgIMG_3482.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

steering rod and quick releases with straps is called EZy Steer (think it's spelled that way), and used to be made in Washington State (Camano Island). Check Ebay for pics -- usually a couple posted. The link shown in #8 is also commercially made, or one like it. It comes in a bubble pack, and believe it is manufactured by Teleflex. You should be able to see that as well on Ebay. I like the latter one, as it provides a number of hook-up options. The kit comes with metal straps that allow you to clamp to steering arms or carry handles. I think it comes in a salt water model (stainless steel), and recommend that -- keeps the quick releases quick. (Here's one -- not sure if it's stainless: Ebay #552400).

An electric start is a real good idea, depending on the depth of your transom. Could have an awkward angle for pull starting.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well ordering the Panther T4.......

Any installation tips on the install? It saysno holes but its and i/o so to get power ill need to go thru transom

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hey Joe -- back to where we were a couple of years ago!

Have a collection of them (one or two by Panther, based on some packaging materials). I've used them in a number of different configurations -- not sure what you mean by going through the transom. Would think you would probably use a hookup similar to the one shown in the JimS's pic. Between two outboards, you can often use the clamps that normally come with the kit to attach the ball joint -- or can rig something. I connect when the trolling motor is in place, disconnect when pulling it up for changing locations. The style that allows you to raise/lower/tilt the auxiliary motor strikes me as overly complicated (still have one around somewhere).

[edit. Ah -- you mean the stand-alone remote steering set up! Should be a nice rig, and better control. Unfortunately, don't have one so can't offer tips.]

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wow it has been two years..... funny i was googling kicker intallation and this thread was a top result. Didt realize it was mine until it opened up. Kinda weird feeling.

Anyway yeah the t4 has power and a corded remote. Got to looking at the other styles and while the wonderfull person who sold me the kicker put a bracket on, it isbuilt to mount on the opposite side of mine. So than and being somewhat lazy i decided on the t4. Ive got plenty of space so didnt opton the t5.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think it should work pretty slick.

For what it's worth, I have an electric-start kicker, and wired over the transom on mine rather than through it. Actually, more than that -- have throttle and shift controls and its own push-pull steering. I have a Trojan F26 that I use for fishing, and set up a console in the back -- express cruiser with space back there. I'm finding the wiring and cables are not a problem coming over the stern -- kind of wind up and around. It doesn't look bad.

guess I would suggest going over the top of the transom rather than through -- probably hardly see it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah can't tell for sure form the pics/manual but it it has plugs I can disconnect then for sure won't go thru the transom, I'll just plug up when ready to use. Mine is not electric start, but it won't be hard to get to and pull.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well, lesson learned. I was ordering a bunch of other stuff thru amazon and fount a T4 on there. The description was kinda weak and turns out no wiring harness or control switch. So have to return. For $2 bucks more going to order here on iboats....