External Fuel Filter

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,

I was cleaning my garage and came accross what it looks like an external fuel filter. Picture below:

photo.JPG

Im not sure where it came from, but I must have picked it up at some point. is this even worth the trouble of installing?
Thanks
Zipp

robert graham

Admiral
Re: External Fuel Filter

That's just a multi-application in-line fuel filter....just cut the fuel line and install, as needed/if needed.....might use it on a small outboard, but probably not for larger motors....That filter probably cost about $3 at Autozone or other....

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You have other filters in your system? Are they getting dirty and plugged? If not let it be and just change your other filter(s) as scheduled. If you don't have any other filters inline than it would be a good idea to put than one and change it at least annually.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That will keep the rocks and sticks out. Most recommend a 10 micron filter, Yamaha 5 micron

petertay

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate having such a filter visible near the outboard, just to reassure that no water is in the line.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

You have other filters in your system? Are they getting dirty and plugged? If not let it be and just change your other filter(s) as scheduled. If you don't have any other filters inline than it would be a good idea to put than one and change it at least annually.

Taz.. There is a fuel filter inside the outboard.. I guess it wont hurt to have another one inline.

robert graham

Admiral

Strongly suggest installing a water/fuel separator type filter on your transom....best insurance against water/contaminated fuel....

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, Walmart carries an Attwood fuel/water separator unit for about $27....then all you need is 2 plugs and 2 nipples, pick a convenient spot on the inside of your transom and install it.....remember the old rule: measure twice and cut once!....