Thermal Imaging on Two Suzuki 115 HP Outboard Engines...

suenosazules

Recruit
Hi, I thought I would share this with everyone. I have incorporated thermal imaging into my marine survey inspections for over two years now and I would not survey anything without the use of the thermal imaging camera. I have found much more in engines, generators, hulls, decks, and electric systems using this camera. The major benefit is by using thermal imaging it completely takes away any doubt as to what you are seeing when you locate an issue or problem. The video I have at the link below are of two Suzuki 115 HP outboard engines that were ran with a water hose at high idle during a survey. All of the thermal images taken were normal, but I wanted everyone to see the video to show how cool this technology is. The link is at:

Thermal Imaging of Two Suzuki Outboard Engines While Running - Marine Surveyor Palm Beach - YouTube

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thermal Imaging on Two Suzuki 115 HP Outboard Engines...

Very dramatic! It looks like the head and lower unit are about to melt with the camera showing hottest as yellow.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have an example of when you found something that was wrong?

suenosazules

Recruit

You have an example of when you found something that was wrong?

I do not have any thermal video of engine issues on this lap top but I do have some stills images of some findings. Here they are:

Honda outboard with a bad cylinder head.

Plywood core deterioration on a fiberglass deck

"Picture in picture" of bottom hull blistering on a sailboat

Vapor leak on a wet exhaust hose on a Cummins engine (was invisible to the eye until the thermal camera caught it)

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

The more tools you have in your toolbox, etc, etc, and this is probably a very good tool. Has there been any endorsement from ACMS or SAMS?

suenosazules

Recruit

The more tools you have in your toolbox, etc, etc, and this is probably a very good tool. Has there been any endorsement from ACMS or SAMS?

As far as I know, no. SAMS will support the thermal imaging certification course through ITC (Infrared Training Center) as continuing education which is a good thing. I believe infrared thermal imaging is the future of marine surveying, and in my opinion has been long overdue. It truly does erase a lot of the doubt or speculation when surveying the hull or machinery in a vessel. I would not survey boats without the use of the thermal imaging camera.