1998 Mercury outboard motor

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a chance to purchase a NEVER USED 1998 5 h.p. four stroke outboard motor. The owner has told me it never even had gas in it, and it was never started, ever. It is like brand new, and he wants $325.00 for it. Does anyone know if it could be all dry rotted or does this sound like a super buy?? It is model # E5REC. Should I buy it? I want to use it as a trolling motor. Thanks! NOTE: We cannot start the thing due to the cold winter we are having in Michigan. It is 19 degrees today!!

iggyw1

Re: 1998 Mercury outboard motor

I have a chance to purchase a NEVER USED 1998 5 h.p. four stroke outboard motor. The owner has told me it never even had gas in it, and it was never started, ever. It is like brand new, and he wants $325.00 for it. Does anyone know if it could be all dry rotted or does this sound like a super buy?? It is model # E5REC. Should I buy it? I want to use it as a trolling motor. Thanks! NOTE: We cannot start the thing due to the cold winter we are having in Michigan. It is 19 degrees today!!

EDIT: Not 19 degrees today, but -9 (negative nine degrees) . NOT A TYPO.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a bargain to me. Squirt oil in the cylinders before you attempt to turn it over, then have a qualified mechanic replace the water pump impeller and give it a good going over. At that price, with the service cost added, it's still way below its value.

iggyw1

Thanks Jim,

Sounds like a good plan. If I take it to a mechanic and let him do the work and run it indoors somewhere, it would still be worth the price I would think. Thanks for your input.