jack plate?

bigcountry5585

Seaman Apprentice
If my motor is too high on the transom, can I use a jack plate for a 1976 Evinrude tiller handle motor?

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: jack plate?

See my response to your tilt and trim question

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What boat and motor ya got and what is happening?

bigcountry5585

Seaman Apprentice

I have an old 1978 Lowe 1448 flat bottom jon boat with a 1976 Evinrude 35 tiller handle motor. Its a short shaft motor. I weigh 360 lbs, 6 gallons of fuel, and a battery in the back of the boat. When I first put the motor on this boat, I put the tilt pin in the first hole closest to the boat so I wouldn't flip.it over. I ran full throttle for miles on the river and it did fine but felt like it was dragging something behind it and the bow was plowing into the water. A couple weeks later I put it on a smaller river and decided to put the pin in the second hole hoping it would raise the bow but it really didn't. The problem is that when I was at 3/4 throttle it did fine, but when I increased to full throttle the boat would suddenly stop, and veer hard to the left. The cavitation plate is approximately 1/2"-3/4" above the bottom of the boat. Is it possible to get the boat to ride more on the stern instead of plowing down in the front. HELP!

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the prop in good condition ? And is the bottom of the boat still reasonably straight especially at the rear if the boat?