1969 Johnson 85 HP Throttle Control

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I am new to iboats and I hope I am starting this thread in the correct forum.
I have a 1969 Johnson 85 HP Hydroelectric shift. I am wondering if there is any replacement Throttle/Shift controls that can be used with the Hydroelectric shift or do I have to stay with OEM controls for this motor?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 HP Throttle Control

Sorry, OEM only. They're out there. Check eBay.

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

Well, that sux. I may have to come up with my own switch design for my box. I'm not paying hella money for a new box just for a switch lol.

southkogs

Staff member

I believe ANY OMC electric shift box will work (doesn't have to be specific to your year or even just to outboards). The Sterndrives used the same shift boxes on the electric shift - so look around a bit at the derelict craigslist "haul away" ads.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC made two different control boxes. One for the straight electric shift and one for the hydo-electric. They will NOT interchange.

Last edited:

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I have done a lot of research and that is what I am seeing. Are there any possibilities on aftermarket like teleflex or anything?
The main reason I am looking for another control is because I want to get away from the dumb roller switch that they put in the OEM Hydroelectric controls. Not only that but if it goes out you can't even find just the switch since Johnson does not even make the part any longer nor is there a replacement part.

southkogs

Staff member

Howard Sterndrive has posted a control/switch box that has been successfully used in the past. I was looking for a post with that in it last night but didn't find one (didn't have a lot of time to look though).

southkogs

Staff member

Ha - found it (or pieces anyway).

See post #2 HERE and #16 HERE.

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

Cool Thanks man, Thank you all for your replies and advice