CMC aftermarket tilt/trim question.

redagain

Cadet
I recently purchased a nice vintage alumacraft runabout. It has a 35hp Kiek/merc. My cabin is on a chain of lakes that has alot of rivers and channels leading to other lakes requiring raising your outboard alot. We even have one of the last small hand operated locks to get to another lake. I would like to put a hydraulic tilt/trim on it. The CMC pt-35 is rated up to 35hp motors. Its advertised for kicker motors. Should i go to the next model with higher HP ratings? Anyone have any experience with these?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: CMC aftermarket tilt/trim question.

I'm sure the 35 would be fine,.......

However,. It doesn't cost a whole lot more to go to the bigger one, Then someday when if you upgrade to a boat with a bigger motor you can take it with you and use it on that one,....

My opinion anyway,....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd look into the future and buy one size bigger. As said above, you can always keep it or resell it.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

With respect to the others- I would choose the PT35 before considering the larger PT130 for the following reasons:

Weight- the PT130 is 15 lbs heavier than the PT35. 15 lbs may not sound like much, but will make a huge difference in handling and fuel economy.

Transom offset- The PT 35 has 1 inch less offset than the PT130. Bringing the outboard 1 inch closer to the transom will increase handling and stability on a smaller boat, especially when cornering.

Cost- The PT35 is about $120 cheaper.

"Redundancy factor"- Although the PT35 is rated for 35 hp and lower, if you look at the thrust rating, (7850 lbs) the PT35 will easily handle any outboard up to about 50 hp. The only limiting factor is the clamp bracket width of the outboard- the PT 35 will only accept outboards with a clamp bracket width of 11 inches or less.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I would call cmc and explain your concerns.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With respect to the others- I would choose the PT35 before considering the larger PT130 for the following reasons:

Weight- the PT130 is 15 lbs heavier than the PT35. 15 lbs may not sound like much, but will make a huge difference in handling and fuel economy.

Transom offset- The PT 35 has 1 inch less offset than the PT130. Bringing the outboard 1 inch closer to the transom will increase handling and stability on a smaller boat, especially when cornering.

Cost- The PT35 is about $120 cheaper.

"Redundancy factor"- Although the PT35 is rated for 35 hp and lower, if you look at the thrust rating, (7850 lbs) the PT35 will easily handle any outboard up to about 50 hp. The only limiting factor is the clamp bracket width of the outboard- the PT 35 will only accept outboards with a clamp bracket width of 11 inches or less.

^+1

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

they both actually run the same hydraulic pump/ram unit. It may be possible to order the larger frame later down the road if you decide you want a bigger motor. CMC's customer service is great - i ordered a replacement part (hit an underwater stump and sheared a piece) and you talk to a real person to order parts - and the part was cheaper than through a retailer. They are owned by TH marine but operate independently out of a small shop in Duncan Oklahoma