What to expect from a 1987 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I've been thinking about changing out my 1979 9.9 Johnson trolling motor, not because it is bad, but because I don't like to work with a Mercruiser 4 stroke and a Johnson 2 stroke. It is just much easier to run a fuel line from the main tank compared to having to deal with a second tank in a small space environment.
I have the opportunity to go and buy a 1987 4 stroke 9.9 Yamaha for under $500, but I do not have any previous experience with this engine.
The question is: What should I be aware of and beware of with this type and brand when I go to see it?
Thank you,Cornelis.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to expect from a 1987 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha?

Check the compression and the gear case oil for any water and hear the motor run.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Disregarding about 4 times as many moving parts: Consider that some 4 strokes "make oil" when trolling, usually requires running the motor wide open for some time to burn off the excess. I forget if the excess is fuel or water in the oil.
The 4 stroke does requires more complicated service intervals,more often.
Any motor that has had good care should serve you well.
Do the checks suggested,see if you can get an on the water test.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Disregarding about 4 times as many moving parts: Consider that some 4 strokes "make oil" when trolling, usually requires running the motor wide open for some time to burn off the excess. I forget if the excess is fuel or water in the oil.
The 4 stroke does requires more complicated service intervals,more often.
Any motor that has had good care should serve you well.
Do the checks suggested,see if you can get an on the water test.

Thanks Steelspike, you just made me realize that an extra fuel tank is not such a big problem after all!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to save space with a 3 gal tank. A 9.9 will troll a long long time on 3 gallons.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I troll with my 2-stroke, but it is there for emergencies as well. To me the extra tank is an advantage not a disadvatage. A true backup system isn't redundant unless it runs a separate fuel system.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

You may be able to save space with a 3 gal tank. A 9.9 will troll a long long time on 3 gallons.

Usually when I troll it is with 2 downriggers with 16 pound torpedoes which are around 90 feet down, 2 wireline dipsey divers and on top of that 2 otterboats (outriggers) with 2 leadcore lines each. Heck,sometimes when it gets slow I add 600 feet of copper to see if the salmon are deep down So my little 9.9 is pushing a big deep heavy lake boat with all that gear hanging out of it. Usually that 5 gallon tank is enough for 7 or 8 hours but I do carry another 3 gallons just to be on the safe side

Last edited: