Fuel Filter Question

dritch4

Recruit
I have a Racor S3240 fuel filter installed on my boat. Whoever installed it, installed a primer bulb on the outlet (engine) side. So I have a primer bulb between the tank and filter and between the filter and engine (2 primer bulbs). Is the primer bulb between the filter and engine necessary? Can't say I have ever seen a boat with 2 primer bulbs. Boat is a 16 foot Carolina Skiff, motor is a BF50 Honda.

Thanks

limitout

Banned
Re: Fuel Filter Question

No reason to have 2. Just leave whichever one is more convenient for you to get to.

some guys do it to make it easier to fill the filter since pumping gas into it is a lot easier and faster then the bulb being after it and trying to "suck" gas into it.

it wont hurt anything to leave it like that but if you remove one, remove the one between the tank and filter

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I say keep the one between the tank and the filter as it's easier to prime the system when you change the filter.

......remove the one between the tank and filter

I say keep the one between the tank and the filter....

Here we go again. :popcorn:

I'll add that the reason I suggested removing one or the other was to cut down on the restriction to flow due to the check valves in each primer bulb. It might not make much difference one way or the other, but I'm sorry, I'm an engineer and I inherently worry about little details.

Last edited: