Accidentally putting diesel in gas tank on Mercury Verado 250hp

dickpalma

Recruit
I accidentally put 8 gals of diesel in a 60 gallon fuel tank, and 2 gallons of diesel in a 100 gallon fuel tank. What should I do now? Will this mixture damage the motor?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Accidentally putting diesel in gas tank on Mercury Verado 250hp

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Couldn't you start us off with an easy question first ???

Of these fuel tanks, how much gasoline was in there to begin with?

I had that sort of thing happen on a car once . . . about 4 gallons of diesel and 16 gallons of gas. Needless to say, I was replacing the fuel filter after a few 100 miles.

scipper77

Commander

I really don't know enough to help you but your situation is pretty interesting to me.

My mind goes towards what is the worst case scenario?? Will the more energetic diesel do engine damage? Are your issues really only going to be fuel system related (carb/injectors, Sensors fouled)?? I have no idea but I'm very interested to find out a little more about all of this.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I would suggest you contact Don Weed at EuropeanMarine.org with your question. Don's a Mercury Marine dealer in Greenville, SC and one of the finest Mercury mechanics anywhere. He's especially helpful to everyone on BBCBoards.net which is Bass Boat Central--fisherman website.

I would suggest you go on his website and take the link on "contact". Just copy and paste your above question to him. I'm sure Don would rather answer an email at his convenience than receive a phone call during business hours. He was gone last week, and it catching up on his business this week.

Your situation is nothing new. But Verado's are high tech animals and different from old generation motors. Much of SeaFoam is actually diesel fuel, and it burns mixed with gasoline.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow..... too many sensors and electronics within that cowling. I agree as above and I would absolutely contact a dealer or maybe higher and try contacting mercury direct.

1. Technical support: 1 (920) 929-5200 (Consumer)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if it were an old two stroke, would it matter that much? just asking.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

if it were an old two stroke, would it matter that much? just asking.

Nope it just would have added to the smoke but an Etec might be since it is "injected"

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A lady friend of mine a year or so ago accidentally, completely filled her Buick with diesel and drove it home. It didn't run well but it ran. Next morning it wouldn't start. Fuel tank was drained, new fuel added and after a couple of seconds it lit off and ran fine. Since the sensors were not apparently damaged, I doubt they would be on the Verado as well. However, were it my boat, I would drain about half the fuel refill with gas and go boating, topping off after each 1/4 tank to continually dilute the remaining fuel until. Add the drained fuel to your car or truck in small amounts.

82rude

Rear Admiral

had the exact opposite results with a friends polaris snowmachine Silvertip.it ran great for about 5 minutes then grenanaded spectacularly.wish I had of took pics it was quite the mess.this is one id leave to the experts!though personally I have a hard time seeing 50 to 1 ratio on the one tank causing big trouble.diesel is heavier than gas so I wonder if you could not siphon out the gas.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, best to talk to a Mercury dealer . . . a lot depends on how much gas was/is in those tanks versus the diesel fuel.

A few years ago, my kid accidentally filled their new car up with diesel fuel instead of gas. Got about 1 mile down the road and the whole thing just crapped out. $700 later the diesel was pumped out of the tank, fuel system purged and filters replaced. :facepalm:

bassman284

Commander

I'd be less worried about sensors and more worried about the effect of that supercharger ramming air onto contaminated fuel. Might not be a problem, but I'd worry.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would drain every drop. The risk is just to high and the cost of repair/rebuild is far more than replacing fuel.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would drain every drop. The risk is just to high and the cost of repair/rebuild is far more than replacing fuel.

I would drain it too. Why risk it for the mess and expense you might have to endure. You want to run your boat not work on it. Drain all the fuel. I'd be temped to put a few more gallons of fresh gas in there and drain that too.

little.boat

Seaman

8 in 60 gal means if full 13% of the mixture is diesel. In the 100 gallon tank only 2% is diesel. I would think 2% would be diluted well enough that it should not cause a problem. However with the 13% I'm not sure if it was a Diesel engine with that mixture of gas I know you would be fine not sure about the other way.

dickpalma

Recruit

8 in 60 gal means if full 13% of the mixture is diesel. In the 100 gallon tank only 2% is diesel. I would think 2% would be diluted well enough that it should not cause a problem. However with the 13% I'm not sure if it was a Diesel engine with that mixture of gas I know you would be fine not sure about the other way.

I agree, I drained the smaller tank, but went ahead and used fuel in larger tank, with no noticeable affects