Skeeter Repower

Skeetin'

Cadet
Ok guys, my motor went out on my 1994 Skeeter ZX175. The motor is a Mariner 175 EFI. Im looking for some insights on repowering this thing. I pulled the heads and the top cylinder on the starboard side is gone. So, i can either rebuild the powerhead or go out and buy me a new motor. I was looking at the the new yamaha and mercury engines so any insight on those would be helpful. Would it be more beneficial to spend a little more and buy a four stroke rather than a two stroke? Anything between a 150 and 200 would work for me. I know engines arent cheap and i would probably be better off selling my rig and getting a new one, but I completely rebuilt the boat and love fishing off this rig.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Skeeter Repower

Welcome to iboats.

Rebuild it yourself at about 1/2 the cost of a rebuilt powerhead. If you buy used ....you have no real idea how the used one will last or what it has been through.

The resources are available to replace that piston or do the entire head (both methods are acceptable)

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

There are more and more nice 2 Strokes coming on the market all the time since so many people are repowering with 4 strokes. I would look for a good used motor to repower a 1994 model boat....or rebuild your powerhead...or buy a rebuilt powerhead. Winter time is just around the corner, so the motor deals will be showing up very soon.

I understand your concern. I rebuilt my entire boat as well, and I just could not justify repowering with a $12-14K motor for a 20 year old boat. I wanted to keep the boat and motor combo within a few model years of one another. I found a great (low hour) motor off a pontoon boat in the hills of Kentucky. Yep, the guy repowered with a 4 Stroke because all his buddies had one.

Skeetin'

Cadet

Thanks guys for the welcome and prompt response. Definitely seems to be alot of information and knowledgeable people on this forum. Now I have definitely looked into rebuilding the powerhead. I couldnt help but notice something about boring and replacing that one piston. Im an automotive mechanic and have rebuilt many engines and some 2 stroke engines (jet skis and dirt bikes). Ive never just bored one hole because i figured it would possible throw the rotating assembly out of balance and put premature wear on the rotating assembly, of course that is just my theory. However, that would definitely keep alot of money in my wallet. On the other hand finding a used outboard would definitely be better for turn around time, but with winter around the corner i can might make it a decent project in the off season. Any recommendations on rebuild kits from suppliers or a good place to find used outboards? Thanks in advance

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes repairing one piston is common on a two stroke. It took me a few years yo get my head wrapped around that idea but it is common. iboats sells used rebuilt powerheads, parts and complete used motors. Check the store link above.

Skeetin'

Cadet

Awesome! This site just keeps getting better and better. Well, looks like rebuilding is the better option, especially if i can get away with doing just one hole. Not to mention i would prefer to rebuild it myself vs someone else that way i know whats been done and if it slings the rod out of the block i can point the finger at myself:lol:. I guess ill go ahead and clean the old workbench off and order the manual and prepare for the winter ahead. Looks like ill be fishing this fall with just the old trolling motor.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

One hole is fine, however what kind of compression are you getting out of the other 2 now? If you're doing this job, it may actually make sense to make sure they all are doing what they should be. There isn't that much more cost in doing all 3 and if you end up with a a really nice rebuilt, I would consider that too. Check the compression on the other 2 , then check the acceptable range for that engine. Should be a fun project.

One hole is fine, however what kind of compression are you getting out of the other 2 now? ...... There isn't that much more cost in doing all 3 and if you end up with a a really nice rebuilt,.....

You forgot one entire half of the engine. :D

The motor is a Mariner 175 EFI.

If you're gonna' do the work yourself check and see if the ports on your engine have to be radiused. I'm not the expert on that, but I've read about guys who didn't have the ports radiused after boring a hole and it not taking too long for a ring to catch.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Since your motor is a 1994, I would worry about compression in the rebuilt hole. lets say for instance the other 5 holes are close to 115, and the new hole is 140, the motor may not run correctly.

I would be inclined to bite the bullet and rebuild them all if you can. Nice fresh rebuild with all cylinders being equal. MUCH MUCH MUCH less money than a new motor, and that ole 2 stroke would SMOKE any 4 stroke in the same pwer range.

Skeetin'

Cadet

Thanks guys. I definitely only wanna spend the money once and do it right the first time, even if it means spending a few more dollars this go round. The more I read, the more Im going to stick with my two stroke. Not to mention my motor absolutely screams down the water. So this winter i will tear into her and go for the complete rebuild. Ive got a well known machine shop in my area that will do the work for me but if anyone knows of a renown machine shop for outboards or 2 stroke motors, please let me know. Any recommendations on rebuild kits from manufacturers and where to purchase them?