steering question rack vs rotary - how to choose?

limitout

Banned
so what is the difference other then how it looks and connects?

is there and difference in how it steers, control, reaction time, effort needed?

is it the same turning input for the same turn of the wheel?

I just don't understand why there are these two types offered when I cant see any reason to choose one or the other so can someone tell me why one is a better choice for a certain sized boat and why?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: steering question rack vs rotary - how to choose?

The rotary gives much more flexibility in the placement. It can even have the cable enter and exit downward. Helps avoid the sharp 90 deg turn in some setups. Not much difference in the steering. The rotary might be a tiny bit harder to turn but also may have less feedback.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your steering choices should be based on HP, Speed and room to mount a unit. The rotary takes up less room and works excellent as a single cable while the rack units used on higher powered boats use double cables many times.

Steering has come a long way with NFB innovations (No feed back).

limitout

Banned

well for my point of reference it would apply to small boats under 18ft with 50-100hp and in this particular case a 17ft flat with side console and 50hp

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

the rotary has a round hub that can be placed right up next to the edge of your console.
The rack needs a wider space to accommodate the rack

Use whichever one you want, as long as it will fit under your console.

limitout

Banned

the rotary has a round hub that can be placed right up next to the edge of your console.
The rack needs a wider space to accommodate the rack

Use whichever one you want, as long as it will fit under your console.

ok so no real difference but in tight spaces the rack would take less room to mount?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have installed a uflex system with a 115 hp and I am very happy with it. I like the rotary ones since all the gears are enclosed and no chance of grabbing a wire. I have seen rack systems get tangled in wires when the boat got to pounding.

Even better....... replace it with the same design you have now ;)