15Hp 4-stroke Yamaha or Evinrude?

Happysevy

Recruit
I want to buy a new outboard. I am a fisherman in Canada . Hesitating between Yamaha and Evinrude? Any advice for me?

bassman284

Commander
Re: 15Hp 4-stroke Yamaha or Evinrude?

The Yamaha is a Yamaha and the Evinrude is a Tohatsu. Both very good motors AFAIK.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just get a Tohatsu and save a few hundred.

limitout

Banned

The Yamaha is a Yamaha and the Evinrude is a Tohatsu. Both very good motors AFAIK.

actually no, I just spent a month looking into all that searching for a new motor

Yamaha and mercury and mariner brands are the same family
suziki and evinrude and Johnson brands are the same family
Honda and Nissan and tahotsu brands are the same family

as to the actual question I would say look into a Suzuki first before you decide, they are the same motors but usually cheaper then evinrudes

I have owned all three Yamaha, evinrude, and Suzuki and loved them all with no troubles at all from them so the only deciding factor for me would be the price.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral

unless tohatsu has decided to build etec,s the new 15hp evinrudes are evinrude.you are talking new and Johnson doesn't exist anymore and evinrudes are all 2 stroke.sorry ,evinrude does sell a 15 carbureted 2 stoke and maybe toh does make it I don't know .what kind of dealer rep do you have in your area?for example in my little burg we now have just merc and Honda dealers but because were also a border town I is no biggy to cross over and get evinrude yammy also all within reasonable distance.me, im highly prejudiced and will recommend you get the 15ho etec.no im not a dealer for evinrude just a extremely satisfied owner of a 60 etec and im not afraid to say id put it up against any equal hp 4 poke for any catagory,fuel mileage,quiteness,power, emissions .

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

actually no, I just spent a month looking into all that searching for a new motor

Yamaha and mercury and mariner brands are the same family
suziki and evinrude and Johnson brands are the same family
Honda and Nissan and tahotsu brands are the same family

as to the actual question I would say look into a Suzuki first before you decide, they are the same motors but usually cheaper then evinrudes

I have owned all three Yamaha, evinrude, and Suzuki and loved them all with no troubles at all from them so the only deciding factor for me would be the price.

Mariners are not sold in north america.

Yamaha and Merc parted ways.

Honda only has an arrangement with Tohatsu for motors larger than 60 hp.

Johnson is currently in limbo.

Evinrude web site is showing both a 4 stroke, and an etec 2 stroke in the 15 hp. Don't see a carbed 2 stroke.

Tohatsu produces Mercury and Nissan motors, and also markets them under the Tohatsu name, at a cheaper price.

So it boils down to price, and dealer support/service.
All are good motors.

Evinrude?
Tohatsu / Merc ?
Yamaha ?
Honda ?

Find the best local dealer, or the one that will sell you parts and give advice if you are a do it yourself.

Last edited:

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Johnson is currently in limbo.

Evinrude web site is showing both a 4 stroke, and an exec 2 stroke in the 15 hp. Don't see a carbed 2 stroke.

Tohatsu produces Mercury and Nissan motors, and also markets them under the Tohatsu name, at a cheaper price.

BRP stopped production of 4 stroke Johnsons in 2007.

The small 4 stroke Evinrudes are made by Tohatsu now as well (since 2010/2011). BRP and Suzuki parted ways around 2004.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

BRP stopped production of 4 stroke Johnsons in 2007.

Yes, but BRP is still maintaining a web site which says.....

Distributors and dealers in all markets will continue to have access to spare parts to support continued enjoyment of Johnson powered boats. We are contemplating the various options that exist to perpetuate the Johnson brand and will share further information as it is readily available.

So, who knows what the future may bring.

82rude

Rear Admiral

sorry roscoe. brp does indeed make or at least sells a 4 stroke 15hp .I didn't properly read the specs ,the sad fact is Johnson as of now has gone the way of the dodo.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Yamaha is Yamaha

Suzuki is Suzuki

Evinrude up through 15 hp is Tohatsu, after that they are still Evinrude

Honda is Honda and as of January 1st 2014 they will, from 60 hp and up, be sold under the Tohatsu decal as well.

Mercury from 2.5 to 30 is a Tohatsu. 40 hp and up is still Mercury.

Tohatsu and Nissan are the same. As of 1/14 Tohatsu will have a dual technology line. Their own through 115 and Honda from 60 hp and up.

limitout

Banned

you get dizzy trying to keep up with all this lol.

so basicly everything small is made by Tohatsu or is a Tohatsu

hopefully the OP gets a good deal but I think we all agree you really cant go wrong with any brand you pick to buy so look at whats easiest to get parts and service for in your area

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like Yamaha, first one to get it right. Always got me home.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I love Yamaha Outboards, I love using them, Fishing offshore with them and most of all working on them. Overall a well put together motor.