PennZoil Full Synthetic TCW3 - Yeah Right

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just venting.....foiled by the internet again....LOL. Every time I take advice I'm not happy.

Wasn't satisfied with my Yami...smokes too much using Yamalube. (Always use OEM stuff). I switched to Evinrude XD50 and was quite pleased with it.

Based on the chat here, I bought a gallon of PZ Full synthetic. Smokes as bad as the Yamalube, but smells far worse.

I swore against Pennzoil and and all the other aftermarket suppliers 40 years ago. Always found OMC or Quicksilver to be superior. I guess some things never change.

Just curious why others like it. It cost more than the XD-50!

nwcove

Admiral
Re: PennZoil Full Synthetic TCW3 - Yeah Right

im a vintage ob guy, have never ran synthetic or 30wt oils in any of my motors, but i have ran all brands of standard tcw3 oils, the omc oil (xd) is the hands down winner as far as clean burning oil goes. jmo

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I remember one of my favorite smells in the 70s was that of an outboard crusing by and a minute or two later the smell of the oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, no Outboard OEM makes their own oil. If you look on the TCW Certification list, you can likely find out who made it....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Well, no Outboard OEM makes their own oil. If you look on the TCW Certification list, you can likely find out who made it....

RL-00458L Evinrude Johnson XD-50 Synthetic Blend BRP U.S. Inc.

RL-00301J Quicksilver Premium TC-W3 Mercury Marine

RL-00304J Quicksilver Premium Plus TC-W3 Mercury Marine

RL-00306J Mercury Precision Lubricants Premium TC-W3 Mercury Marine

RL-00307J Mercury Premium Plus TC-W3 Mercury Marine

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't understand the fascination with who bottles what product. Product formulations are proprietary and companies go to great lengths to protect their intellectual property. Just because the the Dagnapit bottling company bottles product for both Mercury and Walmart, doesn't mean the products are one and the same. Chemical analyst of the different products have show this just isn't the case.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I use Pennzoil Super Premium because WW stocks it and it's about half the price of Quicksilver Super Premium. I know by reading the label that PZ is semi-synthetic. Don't know what QK is as label doesn't mention it. I do know that the PZ smoke is hardly noticeable with my 90 hp 2 stroke Merc using premix 50:1, even on the hole shot. The TC-W3 certification has certain requirements to be met. Any brand can have more than the requirement if they mix/order it that way.

Mark

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use Pennzoil Super Premium because WW stocks it and it's about half the price of Quicksilver Super Premium. Mark
I assume you mean Premium Plus. Neither company makes a "super premium" oil

I use Pennzoil Premium Plus as a backup. Not bad stuff. Not a clean burning as the Merc PP but as you said, about 1/2 the price.

I use XD50 is my primary oil. It burns as clean as Merc PP and has a carbon inhibitor in the formulation eliminating the need for additional fuel additives.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I've just used the regular OMC stuff in both my 35hp and now my 60hp. Also get it at Wallyworld.

Back in the day when I used to race Husky Motocross bikes we always used Klotz Synthetic, loved that stuff in bikes.

Last edited:

mango1229

Cadet

i've tried pennzoil,sierra, merc sythetic blend, and others(except yamalube) and i agree the xd-50 burned the cleanest. anyone try the xd-100?.. i premix so i dont know if thats an option for me

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I love the smell of 2 stroke smoke on a bright clear morning heading out fishing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I love the smell of 2 stroke smoke on a bright clear morning heading out fishing.
An hour of big water trolling on a "sporty day" has change the minds of many. Second only to ipecac for it's power to induce....:D