New motor makes a "fountain" with video example...whats up?

I recently installed a 20 HP Tohatsu 4 Stroke w/ Power Trim/tilt on my J-16.

When on plane I get this water shooting up on both sides of the motor (see video). I am able to lessen this by trimming the motor away from the transom but it does not completely go away and the farther I trim out the harder it is to get on plane. This water shoots so high up some actually gets back in the boat.

I'm concerned I did not mount the motor high enough on the transom? The motor is now bolted to the transom so I'd really don't want to re-drill holes unless absolutely necessary? Would trim tabs help this you think?

Re: New motor makes a "fountain" with video example...whats up?

It appears that you're getting spray from the AV plate. If that's the case then the motor probably could stand to be mounted higher.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Do you have a short or long shaft engine and what is the transom height?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Motors mounted to low.

...would trim tabs help since this is only occuring when underway? Maybe help lift the hull (and motor) up higher?

I doubt it. I'll admit that I don't have any experience using trim tabs, but I can't envision a case where they'd somehow manage to lift the hull out of the water and magically avoid this issue. Your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get the engine adjusted properly.

I thought I had updated this...the motor was in fact too low. I raised the motor about 1 1/4 to 1/2 inch and it fixed the problem immediately. Later on, I did install those gas trim tabs and they are worth EVERY penny, they helped with getting on plane faster even with too much weight aft. Thanks for the advice on this, it really saved me alot of time..